Monday 17 October 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Lost and found

The vase again is very similar to the one I posted last week, and yet there are many differences.  Last week's vase was a similar shape but this one is green, and the flowers are brighter and more cheerful.  There were some of the flowers I clipped off one of my cherished plants a  Potentilla nepalensis 'Miss Willmott'. This is a seedling from the plant originally given to me by Alison, who even had one back this year as she had lost hers. I love the little seed heads which look like a strawberry which has not filled out with its pink flesh and with just the seeds left behind. 



Posed by the old apothecary bottle aka 'the vase' are three little stem ends with acorns still attached.  The squirrels are  pruning the end of the oak branches, and the garden is littered with these little clumps, as well as acorns loosed from their cups in the trees. I was picking them up, but have decided to leave the acorns on the surface as those naughty squirrels just keep digging holes to bury the acorns, with a return no doubt in a few weeks to unbury them.  Hopefully they will just find the loose acorns on the surface and forget that they had buried them.

Now to the Lost and Found title thread.  I thought my lovely blue apothecary bottle was lost, but following several emails I am relieved to report that it is found.  I had taken it to display a stem of the Chrysanthemum Picasso at the HPS show, and had left it behind.  We shall be reunited at the next HPS meeting when Fergus Garrett from Great Dixter will be coming to talk to us. You cannot believe has delighted I am.

Yesterday I went to a talk which was part of the Wells Festival of Literature where we met author Claire Fuller who gave us an insight into her inspiration and how she goes about writing her books.  Our book club have just read Unsettled Group by Claire Fuller.  The book is a good read, and I had no problem reading almost half the book in three days in time for our visit this excellent Festival. I'll be reading some of her other novels for sure. 


There is loss, lies, deceit and deception.....

Cathy's lead post has sea spray and poetry and well worth a visit.




12 comments:

  1. 'Miss Willmott' is a lovely color. I like the loose and open style of your arrangement. Squirrels are way too helpful planting around here. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I love the way you have twisted the Squirrels to being little helpers, which I will consider as being spreaders of trees.

      Delete
  2. What a pretty colour the potentilla blooms are and the stems make a delightfully airy arrangement in your green bottle. I love the little acorn stems too - it is beech nuts from our neighbour's tree that are littering our garden at the moment, with or without seeds and I often hear them dropping to the ground. I know there is a squirrel around, but I haven't seem one for a little while.I will check the book out, as you often have a worthwhile suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to 'listen' out in the garden and to enjoy the sounds of nature. I think you will enjoy the book, do let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  3. Oh that potentilla is a beautiful flower Noelle. Oh you must have been pleased to have caught up with your vase. I've watched some of Fergus Garret's online talks from Dixter and they have been excellent.You have a real treat in store. I already have the book on my radar having read her 'Bitter Orange' so pleased to hear that you are suitably gripped 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Potentilla, I have never lived far enough north to grow any. My neighbor feeds the squirrels peanuts and they destroy many things trying to hide them. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had not grown it till recently and now, I have the urge to acquire a couple of other varieties to compare their growth and see if their flowers are equally as good. The great thing is that slugs and snails shun them.

      Delete
  5. Pretty as your arrangement is, I was mostly amused by how your industrious squirrels are in aiding nature by planting acorns. The silly squirrels in my garden keep trying to plant unripe guava fruit, which they're seldom able to fully cover and are unlikely to ever produce a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love guava and have not eaten them at all in the UK. The smell and taste is divine, and hope you do get to taste them and the squirrels don't get them all.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the introduction to potentilla - I'm not familiar with that plant (initially I thought perhaps your arrangement featured geum). Pretty colour and lovely in your green vase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geums are very closely related and easily confused, so much so that I would be hard pushed to tell you their differences without having a recap from my books.

      Delete
  7. I also thought these were geums, but see in your comment above that they are very similar. Very pretty airy flowers and a lovely colour. I love geums so not surprising I am taken by these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete