Saturday 29 October 2022

Six on Saturday - 29 October 2022

It is still really warm, with night time temperatures more like the day time temperatures we would expect at this time of the year.  We have also had plenty of rain, but the soil is still manageable and gardening possible.  Over at SOS group headquarters manned by Jim, other gardeners are joining in, with their six.  Here are mine:

1. Helpful members of  Cyclamen Society on Facebook  helped  identified of this one flowering on the edge of the gravel garden.  Part of the test was going out to smell it, and yes there is a honey like scent. Looking back I realise  seed bought at the same time as when I bought  the white Cyclamen cilicium have turned up pink, and were moved to this spot a couple of years ago. They are smaller and daintier than Cyclamen hederifolium, with a leaf more akin to the Cyclamen coum..

Cyclamen cilicium

2. A few months ago, I was delighted to receive a piece of Persicaria amplexicaulis Golden Arrow  from a WI gardening group friend. With some rain, it is starting to made some lovely foliage. It is lighting up this patch now the Cosmos have been removed. I'm not sure that the surrounding plants quite complement it, so it may get moved to another position.


3. When the Alpine Group visited Avon Bulbs last year, we were invited to take home a pot of  Narcissus New Baby, which were destined for scrap, as they were surplus to requirement.  I came across the muddied nursery label which the squirrels must have unearthed.  The label reads: small scented jonquil hybrid one foot high with several small pale blooms on each stem.  As I clear the garden of top growth from the perennials I keep treading on labels from spring bulbs.  I just hope I haven't planted a miss mash one on top of others. Next spring will tell, and that is why I need to practice patience regarding getting new bulbs planted.

4.  Growing houseplant begonias is something quite new to be.  This leafy one bought at the HPS stall, with no name has been perfect on a high window sill with the light shining through.  It grew and grew and was ready for a trim.  The leaves did not go to waste and ended in a bouquet for IAVOM this week, and I'm not sure now the little cuttings will come on.  Nothing ventured. I shall report back whether they were a success or not in a few months time.








The cuttings on a shady window sill and the begonia, repotted and trimmed back is back looking lovely on its windowsill with the low sun shining through its leaves showing up that rich mahogany border.  Does anyone know its name?  You'll probably also tell me that I ought to have waited till next spring, but the plant really needed cutting back, so if the cuttings are a failure, I shall try again.

In the future Jim mentioned a database of Begonias, since I wrote about my little begonia in the past, I have used the edit button to add this here.

5. Early spring I felt in my bones that the days of the Salix Mount Aso were numbered.  It was right in the middle of the bed by the conservatory, and although it was lovely to see its fluffy pink spring time show, it was short lived, and was not a real asset at other times of the year.  Half of me said leave it till the spring when I could enjoy another season.


After quite some effort of digging it out, there is now a big space......

6. It is the end of the beetroot, and what a success it has been.  It was beetroot chutney making day on Thursday, following my favourite recipe but this time using seed from the garden grown dill and fresh ginger.  This makes a bright colourful chutney to go with winter lunches. There wasn't quite a kg of beetroot, so I added a little more apple and red onion.


That's my lot this week.







21 comments:

  1. I have a rescued begonia from a plant sale stool, it is a bit miffy about growing how I would like it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently one has to be careful not to overwater etc. Hope yours picks up soon.

      Delete
  2. These beeroots are superb! They shine so clean they are. And thank you for the chutney recipe. I will try.
    You have pretty cyclamens too. Lighter colours than mine and nice leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beetroot had just had their first wash, second wash in the utility room, then straight into the pressure cooker, where they only take 12 minutes to cook at pressure. In fact the dark cyclamen are not the botanic ones I believe but have only recently been introduced, maybe someone else has more information on these.

      Delete
  3. I love beetroot but have never tried growing it. I know what you mean about whether to remove plants now or wait until spring. It seems autumn planting is better so they can get their roots down in warm soil, but I'm not so keen working with wet soil and I have so many bulbs in the ground that at least in spring I can see where they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our soil has not yet reached that wet claggy stage yet thankfully. I am leaving other jobs like light pruning which I can do from the paths for when I can no longer stand on the garden.

      Delete
  4. Your beetroot looks so healthy! I haven't been able to grow it in this clay soil although it has had hundreds of sack of manure on it over the last 20 years. By the way, I hope this comes up as Granny's garden, not Anonymous as it is showing me! 😡🙄

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny. Having planted a Salix Mount Aso last autumn I'm getting shot of it next month. Nice in the early winter but suffered in the heat and was then attacked by giant aphids earlier in the month. I may see if anyone wants it at work. Those beetroot look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would good by some pond where it can keep its roots nice and damp, so worth asking around.

      Delete
  6. The beetroot chutney sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe link. It's always difficult trying to guess where the bulbs are when you are planting more. I think we just have to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except when choice snowdrops have had other things planted too close. In a small garden that is also a problem.

      Delete
  7. Your beetroot looks so beautiful, so tempting! Well done with your begonia leaves, you will have some lovely plants for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline, it back to buying from our market which has excellent locally grown beetroot of various types always with the lovely fresh green leaves still attached.

      Delete
  8. I'm going to offer up the name 'Limeade' as a possible for the Begonia. I managed to restrict myself to two more Begonias from Rosemoor yesterday - some of the RCM Group members bring things along to sell, often ridiculously choice and cheap things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well those plants on offer are well deserved Thanks Jim, ' Limeade' it will be, more of a purple edge it could 'Lime and Port'.

      Delete
    2. I thought you were making up a new name, but Googling it led me to Dibleys'. Visited there many years ago, fab plants, My parents had all manner of Begonias growing outside along the shady side of the house in Mauritius, and in their shade houses. I loved them and the different leaf patterns. Many thanks Jim.

      Delete
  9. Oh good luck with the begonia cuttings Noelle. I've grown one or two in the past but these days just have the perennial begonia grandis - both pink and white forms. You would be welcome to a tuber or two when they have died down. Your beetroot looks delicious. I didn't grow any this year but have had a constant supply in my veg box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you Anna. Space and shade is almost non existent in the garden, but many thanks for your kind offer.

      Delete
  10. I adore that begonia. I went looking for its identity and came up with 2 prospects: 'Jive' and 'River Nile' but the edges of both appear to be more magenta/brown that the bright red shown in your photos. I noted commentator Jim's possible ID as well, although the edges of that one also appear darker than yours. Thanks for sending me down an interesting rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely go with Jim's identification. I've compared it with others and also on grower's webistes in the UK. Limeade it is. I am going to the HPS group in November and will enquire further there.

      Delete
  11. Your flowers and beetroot look lovely. I’m just checking out the recipe. Thanks for sharing. All the best. Karen

    ReplyDelete