Saturday 22 October 2022

Six on Saturday - 22 October 2022

It has been a very varied week weather wise, starting dry, sunny and very warm, but with a change to rain during the last two days.  All very good for the garden.  

We have a change this week in that Jim has taken over the 'guardianship' of Six on Saturday and I can't better this in the opening of his Six on Saturday this week:

'The trick is selective vision, walk around and see the flowers that are hanging on, the autumn tints, the evergreens coming to the fore; while being blind to the decay and chaos. I’m very good at it, I’ve had a lifetime’s practice.' Jim Stephens.

Here are my Six on Saturday:-

1. The Cyclamens that used to be in pots, which they 'outgrew' have settled in nicely in the garden. 


The various leaf shapes in silver will light up the garden during the gloomier days.

2. Just beyond the gravel garden the Chrysanthemum Picasso is looking stunning.  I love the neat shape and will be cutting it for a vase this coming Monday to guage its quality in a vase over a number of days.


3. Sorting out some of the smaller bulbs ready to plant out, and writing labels is the start of bulb planting this autumn. Crocus Chrysanthus Advance, Crocus Chrysanthus Goldilocks, and Crocus Versicolor Picturatus were planted this week, half in nice pots to have on the show shelf, and also in old plastic pots ready to plant out in the garden in the spring when I can tell where there are gaps and where the colour will work best. 


4.  Anemone Blanda 'Blue Shades, and White Splendour needed soaking. All these small bulbs were purchased from Pottertons when they visited the Bishop's Palace.


The larger corms  were A. blanda 'White Splendour'.  With space a premium, dormant but potted up bulbs are being stacked.


Even the little Chionodoxa Sardensis are all in pots now.


5. I thought that was all the bulbs potted, except for the tulips which will wait till cooler weather.  However I went and won some 'Narcissus Pebble Mill'.  Some special bulbs were donated to our club from the Narcissus Society, for whose show our club helps each April.



These were bred by Clive Postles and described as

"A rare large white trumpet - 115mm - from Clive Postles with a double triangle perianth which is balanced with a flared and cylindrical corona."

From what I can gather it is an early miniature daffodil.  I am hoping to swap a few with members who picked up other cultivars which were separated as different prizes in the raffle.

6. My friend  Kay originally gave me Pulmonaria Sissinghurst White, as well as the Primula Wanda, which grow very well here and are a delight early in the year. Having moved and having laid out her new garden, Kay has reserved an area for plants given by friends, and asked for a particular plant that I featured recently in a vase.  It was a pale delicate white scabious, and being the very stylish designer that she is, is using a palette of white, yellow or blue of course with lots of greens. I am afraid it will have to wait till seed time next year, to sow and develop new plants.



In the meantime the Pulmonaria was duly dug up, sections separated, a piece put back, and together with pieces of other select plants they got posted off Tuesday.  

Further to that the clumps of Tiarella Spring symphony, and Astilbe Chinensis var, pumila in the same bed were also tackled, with bare root divisions being passed on to local gardening friends.  I didn't want the faff of potting them up in the 'rubbish' stuff that now passes as peat free compost, and I delighted to hear they are already planted in gardens. 

That's my lot for this week.  Its looks as if it is going to be fine here today: hurrah!

20 comments:

  1. I've already bought my spring bulbs but I haven't started planting yet or even found the place where I'm going to put them! Very pretty foliage of the cyclamen, I noticed that mine are also beautiful at the moment and are in bloom of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have loads of room to accommodate all your bulbs and plants Fred. Looking forward to seeing your bulbs next spring.

      Delete
  2. You seem to have had a very productive week. The cyclamen leaves are stunning. I have sown all the seed you sent me - some 'properly' and some scattered in a gravelly patch of ground where I've had cyclamen seed germinate spontaneously (from potted plants stored nearby).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It requires a little patience, but being such lovely plants, it worth going to the trouble. It is then a question of maybe culling the forms you don't want.

      Delete
    2. I think I'm probably too soft to cull, and I've got room for them all here thankfully.

      Delete
  3. Well done on making a start on bulb planting. I've only done the buying them bit. Chrysanthemum Picasso really is stunning, and as you say, a neat shape. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I read between the lines, that you may be buying more?

      Delete
    2. No! I've been very good, although I did find some in a pot that I must have dug up in the spring.

      Delete
  4. Love your cyclamen, what wonderful leaves and the chrysanth looks a picture. I am very impressed by your orderly potting up. Nice green labels. Have a great week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to spend time tidying in the garden, or else go into the house and do housework, I know which I prefer unless it is pouring with rain!

      Delete
  5. The cyclamen seed you sent me a couple of years ago has produced some lovely silver leaved forms; only the odd flower this year but if they turn out as well as the one in the picture I am going to be highly delighted. That Chrysanth is lovely too, I have a few in pots but so far they've failed in the garden; I should probably try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be taking great care of these Jim, and making sure they stay healthy. Given the growth rate, it is probably worth starting from cuttings each year.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to win some bulbs, I have planted some but have a few more to attend to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite exciting, it was only the bulbs I was after, and delighted that they were the last lot left, as I got the last ticket to be drawn. In effect I paid £5 for this lot which is a bargain.

      Delete
  7. I love those cyclamen leaves and the chrysanthemums too!! I never really know what I’m doing with chrysanthemums and they end up all sprawling and leggy…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a novice with Chrysanthemum, though years ago I did win a prize, which was completely by fluke. There are so many varieties and each having different habits. I wanted to find out about this one and literally did nothing except plant them. I know what you mean some have weak stems and need staking. I grew Chrysanthemum Dixter for three seasons here, but then it disappeared, probably due to being hemmed in and not having enough light.

      Delete
  8. I’m impressed with your labelling. Does the writing last long in the weather? I have been looking for a way to indicate where my bulbs are so that I can avoid planting more on top of them, but nothing seems to last.
    The cyclamen leaves are so beautiful, and there is such a variety of patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the best labels for the garden were black with silver pen. However I saw blackbirds pull out the labels and the squirrels too have been at work. The green ones are highly visible and I use pencil on those, which last. As with all labels it is best to check each season. Recording on maps and with pictures help too, which I have done with the snowdrop collection.

      Delete
  9. The cyclamen corms that you kindly sent to me are getting bigger Noelle and there are some beautiful silver leaved ones 😂 I'm looking forward to seeing your vase tomorrow and a close up view of 'Picasso'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if I sent you the summer/autumn flowering Cyclamen hederifolium, or the spring flowering C Coum. All my coums are in leaf too at the moment, which seems rather early.

      Delete