Monday 24 October 2022

In a Vase on Monday - October

 Last year as part of the HPS Conservation Scheme I took two plants to grow, observe, nurture, etc.  One was a diminutive iris which was overwhelmed by slugs etc., and a second was  Chrysanthemum Picasso.  It has been in flower for a couple of weeks, and now all the blooms are open.

It was time to cut a few stems from just one of the three plants,  From this I selected and cut down a stem, and split that into smaller pieces,  which here are joined by some begonia leaves and a few stems of Pittosporum Tom Thumb. 


Here are the stems I cut yesterday and put into a large pottery tankard, which my sister gave me as a gift on her return from her placement year in France.  Thes tankard full is  now in the dinning room, and will have its water changed every couple of days, and I'll be able to check how the blooms age.  There are so many Chrysanthemum cultivars around, and I am continuing to enjoy this one's splash of colour in the garden. To think just one cutting early in the year can give about three times this amount of flowers, a real gift for flower arrangers.

11 comments:

  1. Gosh, your three plants were all from a cutting? That's brilliant, but what a responsibility looking after the plant for the HPS - this variety certainly seems a good do-er if those blooms are anything to go by. The begonia leaves and the pittosporum add form and shape to the vase too. The scheme is a good way of maximising the chances of a plant surviving, though, and HPS members may be more likely to nurture such plants than others. I have sent some seed in this year, my first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be a number of people with this plant. Well I very much hope so, I must quickly distribute it back to the group. The more that grow it the better! Yes seed collectors and then the seed share is an important part too, so well done on doing that too.

      Delete
  2. How I wish chrysanthemums did so well here! I thought the flowers were small dahlias on first glance. The addition of the beautiful begonia leaves was inspired. It's good of you to participate in a project like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias don't do well at all here, so it is good to have discovered some things that do well later in the year. It is purely voluntary, and an honour for someone like me who loves plants.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful vase of mums. I love the color and have a new sweater just that lovely tone of pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Timeless Lady. Yes the colour would suit you very well I can see.

      Delete
  4. Chysanthemums are a mainstay of my autumn flower arranging here in the Southern hemisphere too. Yours is a beautiful colour and I adore your begonia foliage. Any idea what the variety is called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up that begonia at the HPS members' table, and have no idea what it is called. I would recognise the person who brought it, so hopefully after the next meeting I shall be able to let you know.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a fabulous bounty from that beautifully hued Chrysanthemum Picasso. Will have to look for that. I love how you've presented them! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh 'Picasso' looks even better in close up Noelle! A beautiful soft orange set off so well by that begonia leaf. Presumably you report back to the conservation scheme regularly on it's progress?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a gorgeous colour Noelle. I am becoming more and more fond of Chrysanths, but find them rather tricky to grow. The big leaves of the Begonia are lovely too - great combination!

    ReplyDelete