Monday 2 October 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Birthday Posy for Jenny

I can't remember when I was last with my sister Jenny on her birthday, and yesterday we had a special lunch cooked by Lluis, for which he cooked a traditional Catalan lunch.  There were various plates of starters and for the main course a slowly braised chicken, sausage and pork belly with tomatoes and aubergines with lashings of wine. It was a special dish which would have only be eaten once or twice a year when he was young. 

Jenny very much admired posies of English flowers outside a Florist on our trip to Frome on Friday.  Yesterday early I went into the garden and picked a range of the flowers to made up a posy for her birthday.  Knowing that I had still flowers from last week, I thought to picture these and use them for In a Vase on Monday before giving them to her.



The taller pink spikes are from Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Golden Arrow', a plant given to me by fellow plant enthusiast, Maggie R. Sedum Autumn Joy, and a pink Japanese anemone, are joined by Astrantia Major 'Sunningdale Variegated',  and the white Chrysanthemum Nicole 22c. If you look closely you can see the fuzzy mauve/pink heads of Serratula tinctoria var. seoanei, a small knapweed.



Foliage is from ferns: Polypodium vulgare, a native fern, growing on the ground in a shady corner in the garden. I am looking forward to showing Jenny this local wild fern that even grows on the branches on trees.  The second fern is Polypodium cambricum 'Richard Kayse' which is so useful as it is just starting to green up and is available to cut all through the winter.

The lizard, just happens to be resident in the middle of the table on our slate lazy susan at the moment, 

I am linking in with Cathy who devised this weekly get together on her blog: Rambling in the Garden, to share flowers and stories and props.  It must have been going for ages as this will be No 273 from me, and it must be well over 300 if not over 400 for Cathy as I have missed quite a few.



14 comments:

  1. Very pretty, Noelle, your sister must have been delighted. Lunch sounds delicious, a real treat! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza and she was delighted with her pressie too, which was exactly what she wanted.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, it will be 520 for me in a little over a month, Noelle - who would have believed it?! My Mum (who struggles to look at the posts these days) was just saying the other day that she doesn't know how I have kept it up for all those years - it has been a good discipline for me, though, and I know how much it means to a number of people.
    Your vase is delightful today, Noelle, and so 'fulsome! I bought this persicaria after seeing yours, and it makes a such a statement. Does your sister live in Spain now? How often do you get to see her? Your lunch sounded lovely 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is 10 years worth of vases Cathy, I so admire you, as I am sure do others. Yes Jenny is in Spain now, and no we don't get together often, but we are very much in touch via the internet. One of the ways we are in touch is through sharing my posts about the garden flowers, so IAVOM reaches all my family including another sister who also lives abroad at the other side of the world.

      Delete
  3. A luncheon/birthday posy anyone would love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenny doesn't go much for celebrations, however this suited her perfectly.

      Delete
  4. What joy it must have been to spend time with your sister on her birthday Noelle and to enjoy what sounds like a really delicious meal. She must have been delighted with that lovely posy. I think that I will look out for that fern which is greening up now 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall remember this celebration for sure.

      Delete
  5. You did well by your sister, Noelle! The Sedum and Persicaria make a statement paired together, and I so envy the Astrantia, which I've tried and failed to grow in my own garden. Your meal sounds outstanding - I imagine you were stuffed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, yes we were, and I don't usually eat a main meal at lunch time either, not much was done during the afternoon.

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful posy Noelle! All the lovely autumn flowers I would wish for in a bunch of flowers. The tiny little knapweed is delightful - we still have a few wild ones in the garden here and there. And I love the Chrysanthemum in the centre too. Like Kris, I am envious of the Astrantia. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, we all have things that we are unable to grow, I have come to the stage that if they can't grow, I won't try! But of course, this is why is it so nice to share on IAVOM so that we can admire what other people are growing.

      Delete
  7. What a sweet birthday bouquet! I'm so impressed with all the long-time IAVOM writers, that is just an amazing number of posts. I've just jumped in this summer, but greatly enjoy seeing updates from everyone and having little chats about the things we love. It makes the beginning of the week feel much more bearable knowing I can peek through posts during breaks :-) Thank you for sharing all that with us with such regularity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy has done a wonderful thing in creating this weekly get together, and it follows very nicely for a number of us who also post on Saturdays about Six things in our garden. I am pleased you too are enjoying this.

      Delete