Tuesday 10 October 2023

Tree Appreciation Tuesday - Black Walnut

This is the first of my posts for the new 'Tree Appreciation Tuesday' meme.  If you find something interesting, or wish do add something, please leave your comment below, feedback is welcomed and appreciated. 


Admired this Sunday at the Bishop's Palace Wells is this magnificent Eastern Black Walnut-Juglans nigra.


Situated on the entrance side of the croquet lawn, it is possible to admire this tree without even paying to enter the gardens, so if you ever in Wells, then do have a peep.  The gardens are splendid with many interesting trees, and a visit is well worth it.

This specimen was planted in 1820 the year the Florence Nightingale was born, and the year King George III died, and it is listed as 'A Monumental Tree'.  The tree is native in Eastern North America 

There is a younger tree close by planted in the late 1980s when the 'Monumental Tree' was hit by lightning, as a replacement in case the old tree succumbed.  It is the older tree which I am showing and as you can see it did survive.  I just fell in love with it, the first time I saw it.  A few years ago, I asked if I could pick up some of the nuts on the lawn, and I was advised that they are extremely hard to crack. I brought three home and  with a club hammer  it was impossible: I gave up! 

Some of the limbs of this tree at the left below splay out a long way from the trunk and the tree offers shade and certainly it has presence.


It is said that in its beautiful bark you can see diamond patterns, I shall need to look harder next time.


The nights are still warm, the fruit is swelling and there is just a little hint of autumn colour.


I am no botanist or dendrophile, but I was able to learn a little more using the internet, if time permits!

Having lived in 'Wooded Warwickshire' and falling in love with so many of its trees, I am particularly delighted that my good friend Mandy has joined in with her post today:

https://blossomandsunshine.com/2023/10/10/tree-appreciation-tuesday


4 comments:

  1. What an exciting tree, you must show me the nuts when they fall. I can see why you’re completely in love with it. Just to commune with such a magnificent tree would be such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tree has so many large limbs that extend far out, the sheer volume must be extraordinary. The fruits are round and smooth, I shall pick some up and bring them home when they start to fall. Opening up the fruit to reach the shell that contains the edible parts stains the hands badly, so I shall be sure to wear gloves this time, Breaking the shell is quite another thing!

      Delete
  2. It so interesting to read about this tree on your blog Noelle..being a tree-lover too, I found this tree just SO beautiful, majestic and exotic and I would enjoy gazing at it for minutes at a time sitting on a nearby bench during my recent 7 week stay in Wells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went again to the Palace yesterday as I had gone in to view two art exhibitions, for which I was one day too late for both! Instead I spent the time in the BP Gardens, admiring the trees there. So pleased you and Lluis joined even for the short time you were here.

      Delete