Tuesday 24 October 2023

Tree Appreciation Tuesday - a tiered beauty Cornus controversa

 Trees in front gardens are a gift to passers by and visitors from the people who planted them.  I often direct visitors to Wells to view 15th Century Vicar's Close. After this post I shall suggest they also view this beautiful tree.


Just through the Waggon Gate in the Chain Bridge you can see this week's tiered beauty.  Although this beautiful tree captured my attention the first time I walked down St Andrews Street, I didn't know what it was.  It is a beautiful specimen of a tree, nicely placed and surrounded by beautiful buildings which could easily outshine a different darker tree. But with its variegated foliage and space around it stands its ground well.  It is so much younger than any of the surrounding building.



Is it because of its juxtaposition to the beautiful late medieval house called the Rib and the Cathedral to the other side, or its exquisite form with layers of variegated leaves, that I wanted to choose this tree for my third 'Tree Appreciation Tuesday' post?  It just appeals to me on so many levels. 

Cornus controversa 'Variegata'

This is a weekly post, comments are very much appreciated, and you are very welcome to join in any week with a tree which has caught your attention, follow the link to understand the format. 



1 comment:

  1. What an eye-catching tree, it looks so elegant next to that house and hedge!

    ReplyDelete