Saturday 21 October 2023

Six on Saturday - 21/10/2023

Talk about rain, except for yesterday morning up until about one o'clock, it has been raining, sometimes 'bucket loads', or even shed loads.  This morning we have a few hours of respite, but it has probably been the same for others in the UK, if not worse.  However it is still mild, and these is still plenty of colour and green dominates at the moment. I'm looking forward to reading Jim's post and others who link in to his talking about six(ish) things in our gardens.

1. I keep dividing and moving plants every two or three years.  This also yields many plants to give away as in the example of Pulmonaria 'Sissinghurst White'. All through the winter the foliage is a great ground cover . This originally came from my dear friend Kay from Kenilworth, since moved. Many friends have benefited, and also many divisions have been sold from the HPS Membership sale table.  I ought to plant out a few for the next sale at Yeo Valley next year on 23rd of March.


Pulmonaria 'Sissinghurst White'

2.  Several of us comparing the purple leaved Loropetalum 'Fire Dance'.  It had to be cut back severely early this year after suffering from the freezing temperatures, and I am pleased to see it has bounced back.  To add further to its woes, I have decided there is a spot still along that same shady border where it will be better seen and also shine more just behind the Lophomyrtus x ralphii 'Little Star'.


3. Acer 'Wakaranai' has obviously had a great year and looking great, both from a distance and close up.  That is not the name but one suggested by Gill Heavens, who of course has a wonderful turn of phrase!




4. I always knew them as Arum Lilies, now called Zantedeschia aethiopica from South Africa, and having seen fine clumps of them growing in some of the front gardens of older properties, realised that they grew well in the area.  What surprised me was that it was growing in full sun in dry areas. I've always liked them and when I saw a plant earlier this year I decided to grow it, first in a nice pot, but then I planted it in the ground.  The weather has suited it, and it has thrown up what perhaps will be its last flower this year.  



5.  When I moved to this garden from Kenilworth, I was delighted with the Ivy leaf toad flax growing on the wall.  On a tour of Wells Bishop's Palace gardens given by two Enacters who took us round showing us a number of plants, I heard that seed may have come when statues were brought to the castle from Italy.  There are a number of 'stories' about how it first came to England, and I refer you to The Frustrated Gardener post on Kenilworth Ivy for a number of them.


6. There are always things that can irk me.  One of them is when I can't get on with gardening and I have some one else working in the garden.  Barry is the person sent by the company, and the work is slow and not particularly efficient, not much planning or management of time, but this is Somerset, and things get done in 'Somerset Time'!  Things are being well done though.  


The second thing is that my green bin was not emptied on collection day. After phoning up, as I wondered whether I needed to renew,  I was told to leave it for for someone to come and empty it.  Although I am bin monitor for the close and move most bins to the end to make it easier for the bin collection, my bin was left unemptied, and despite phoning up, it still hasn't been collected three days later. There isn't even a system for paying by S.O or D.D....only in Somerset me thinks! You have to phone in and renew and pay over the phone!

14 comments:

  1. It is in the true gardener's nature to share and you are a fine example. I would love some cyclamen and you know my address already. I'm sure your loropetalum will forgive you, especially if it is in a better place. Love the acer of course! Have a good week, Sis, hope the bin people get their act together, so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loropetalum now moved, I don't loos time! I can see if far better now, rather than having to tip toe down the path, and I can and view it from the conservatory. I'll post off plantlets as soon as your reply to my request on messenger, I can't find your new address.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your Loropetalum has recovered from the winter freeze - the foliage looks nice and healthy - an identical colour that of my 'Black Pearl' - I wonder what the difference is? I'm sure it won't mind being moved (he says, crossing his fingers).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's surprising to see no slug holes on your arums! Good for you. The loropetalum suffered here too this winter , I cut it down but it came back just like yours. Yours looks young, so I guess it will be able to be moved easily without too much damage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't tell the slugs and snails that it might be tasty, they are busy munching on other plants and I keep moving things, finding snails and despatching them. The slugs are more difficult and damaging generally.

      Delete
  4. In Cornwall they do things dreckly. It's not a synonym for 'today' or 'quickly', that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be patient, it was six months ago since they came, viewed the work and gave a price.

      Delete
  5. Sarah Rajkotwala21 October 2023 at 19:07

    Ha ha Somerset time, sounds like the way they move in the country areas here too! My husband once complained that the lawnmower man was moving very slowly, so we would have to pay him for more hours work! 🙂🌸 Lovely Arum lily and pulmonarias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't believe it when we first moved to Somerset, now we are surprised when it isn't, usually we find out it is by people who moved here.

      Delete
  6. I think you have all my favorites from my northern garden. wonderful to see Loropetalum and Japanese Maples today! Good luck with your bin. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shedloads of rain here too and very windy Noelle but fortunately we were spared any serious damage. Do you divide your pulmonarias now or in the spring? I have also read about the arrival in this country of ivy-leaved toadflax and various other plants in Richard Mabey's fascinating book 'Flora Britannica'. We had the toadflax in our last garden. Hope that your bin situation is soon sorted. Here we're having major problems with the domestic waste bin not being emptied as scheduled😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anna, sorry to hear about the winds on top of the rain. I divide it any time during a mild spell. It will establish well at the moment, and be nice and strong for flowers in the spring, or else after flowering. That Flora Britannica is on my wish list now! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  8. That arum looks so lush and lovely! I've got a giant white one that only manages to get around to flowering every other year, though I'm hoping that sinking it in the garden during a good summer will boost the chances. The smaller colorful ones managed to do just fine, so I'm not sure why that one is so finicky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure whether the coloured ones are too tender for our climate. Perhaps try a different more floriferous white cultivar which would perform better in your conditions?

      Delete