Saturday 14 October 2023

Six on Saturday - White and purple on 14 October 2023

The days are whizzing past, and I have to prepare the garden for work to our seating circle and various other works.  Some of the landscapers were expected for this coming Monday, that work has already slipped to Wednesday.  I have already established the patch which contains the divisions of plants that need to be out of their way,  but I definitely want to be around when the work starts.  It poured yesterday deluges of rain ran down the paved slope of a road, but the garden all drained very well.  Hopefully with a couple of days of dry weather I shall be able to get out there again, sorting out the garden for the late autumn/winter. I am sure Jim will have everything in order, and has his model post up on his blog, where we all congregate to chat about six things in our gardens which a little latitude as I read in the guide notes.

I have also been visiting my 'local park/garden' which is the beautiful garden at Well's Bishop's Palace.  Here I took pictures of the  Eastern Black Walnut-Juglans nigra. I have started up a new weekly post/meme called 'Tree Appreciation Tuesday',  Do visit it and hopefully leave comments and even join in. The guidance is still in its 'infancy'!   

Now for six things in the garden this week:

1.  This one is described as a hardy garden Chrysanthemum, for now I am absolutely delighted with it. I have already cut several stems for flower arrangements, and in the week took a bouquet to a friend when I was invited to pick pears in her garden. Is it going to be hardy over the winter?  As I like this one very much and the plant is in the middle of my bed that contains a lot of spring plants, I shall lift it and try to preserve it over the winter.


Chrysanthemum Nicole

 
Chrysanthemum Nicole close up

2.  Another white flowered plant that has benefited from the cooler weather recently is Fuchsia Hawkshead, another one that I cut for vases.

Fuchsia Hawkshead

3. Around the garden the Cyclamen hederifolium are coming out.  Gradually I am moving the white flowered ones  to one section of the garden.  This is a late flowering one compared to some of the others.

Cyclamen hederifolium white form

4. This is a new 'Aster' to the garden, it is shortish and stands up nicely, and is a really bright purple.  I would have liked the centres to be more golden, this one came from Old Court Nurseries, when Brenda and I put in a joint order earlier in the year.

Symphyotrichum novi-belgii 'Purple Dome'


5. I don't have as much room as I would like to grow the range of plants that appeal to me, but this late flowering Allium from Japan is ideal in the gravel garden.  When I first bought it in a very small pot, greedily I divided it, but planted the divisions fairly close together so that it formed a wider clump. Allium thunbergii Ozawa has been in this spot since September 2021, and I really pleased with it.  The seed I had saved and sowed have not come up so I do not believe they can ripen and be viable here as they flower very late into the season.

Allium thunbergii Ozawa

6. It seems to be a white and purple week, for my sixth here is a view of the Serratula by the edge of the path.   

Serratula tinctoria var. seoanei

Serratula tinctoria var. seoanei close up

I'm over for the morning at the HPS monthly meeting when our speaker will be Razvan Chisu, The Transylvanian Gardener and his talk is called 'confessions of a Plantaholic': I think many of us in the room will already have succumbed to that condition! 

14 comments:

  1. A lovely subtle six, Sis. I have never grown chrysanths and I know I should give it a go. Perhaps next year. Hope the talk went well, were there plants for sale? Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Razu was most amusing, and yes I have had my own hunches about being a plantaholic confirmed. A list of plants were noted for further consideration and I did come back with just one plant!

      Delete
  2. Is the late flowering of Allium thunbergii as late as that in other years? It's interesting to have flowers like this at this time of year.
    Nicole's close up is really cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed it 15/10/22 and 9/10/21, so it is about the same. If it stays cold it will be in flower like this for some time. I'll observe it and now that can be an item for future weeks.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, what I like is that the leaves are really gorgeous all winter long.

      Delete
  4. A very nice Six indeed. That Chrysanthemum Nicole is very pretty and I hope my Fuchsia Hawkshead gets that big in time - it might help hide a water butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only takes two or three years to get to that size, but I don't remember what it looks like in the winter, as I usually cut them down. Having seen a Fuchsia kept as a 'shrub' with quite thick stems/trunks I was intending leaving it unpruned to see how it performs.

      Delete
  5. I think I might have fawned over Nicole in a bouquet already, but seeing where those blooms came from is a whole different level of impressive. What a gorgeous plant! Combined with some research saying they do well down to zone 5, I really have no reason not to be grabbing some at the nursery. I've put down hardy mums on the "definitely plant next year" list :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole is indeed lovely, and can you credit it, this large plant from a small cutting received in the post earlier in the year!

      Delete
  6. Amazing purples and whites! πŸŒΈπŸ’œ Oh my that fuchsia and delightful aster are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Rajkotwala15 October 2023 at 20:17

    I wrote the above comment 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your new aster addition Noelle. 'Nicole' looks short and sweet. A friend gave me some chrysanthemums of a small growing white chrysanthemum earlier this year. They were doing well but something seems to have bitten the flower buds off! Any suggestions? I heard the same talk via Zoom a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I wonder if you will be at the HPS Galanthus group Zoom talk tomorrow πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. II can't think what would bite the flowers right off, could it be birds? I have had so much on my mind here that I hadn't registered for the HPS Galanthus talk. I shall consider it later.

      Delete