Monday 3 May 2021

In a Vase - Spring pastels

The winds are roaring, and even in our sheltered garden, plants are getting a good buffeting.  Before lunch, just as the winds were picking up I went out to pick a few spring blooms for today's IAVOM.  Cathy who gathers us together in a great ponytail of flowers, her topic this week is Fringe Benefits, which when viewed will make you smile.

Rarely used for its original purpose the vintage half pint pewter tanquard beer mug is today's Vase.  Usually it sits with its fellow full pint version on a kitchen shelf together with a few other pewter bits and pieces.  It makes a lovely container for posies of flowers.  





Rescued from the winds are soft and delicate blooms: the blue Brunnera Jack Frost flowers masquerade as forget-me-nots, and  the pretty pink sweetpea looking flowers of Lathyrus vernus ‘Alboroseus’. 



With a little twirl of the vase you can see the pale pink Dicentra eximia both flowers and ferny leaf, and a cousin of this one Corydalis Pseudofumaria alba with its white and yellow blooms join together and are surrounded by fresh unblemished leaves of a white edged trimmed leaves of a small hosta.

11 comments:

  1. Oh that's lovely Noelle, and maybe could be called an old-fashioned tussie-mussie? The pastel shades and soft green foliage work so well together and the pewter tankard is just the right sort of container. I have been eyeing up my Lathyrus vernus, the first year it has made any real showing, as a vase contender myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a short post about tussie mussies on my blog in 2010, and then also others but I love the one with Etoile de Hollande from my previous garden. https://noellemace.blogspot.com/2010/06/etoile-de-hollande-in-posy.html
      Looking forward to seeing your Lathyrus, do you have the blue one?

      Delete
  2. The soft pastels with that beautiful Brunnera look amazing. Hope the weather has calmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, the wind batters on and I think we are in for a night of strong winds.

      Delete
  3. It's a beautiful spring confection, Noelle. I so envy you the Corydalis and the Brunnera, neither which seem to appreciate my corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to envy Kris, I enjoy your tropical arrangements, I love that IAVOM has contributors in such different climates.

      Delete
  4. So springy and refreshing, I love it and I thought there were forget me nots in there...love the Dicentra foliage, I haven't seen any in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well rescued from the wind and rain Noelle what a pretty concoction of flowers and ferny foliage. I must reintroduce some foget-me-nots back into my garden. They eventually petered out after many years of good service. Will be in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had far more wind and far less rain. Could do with a lot more rain, preferably at night.

      Delete
  6. How pretty! I am impressed with those perfect bold hosta leaves, but the pink sweetpea and dicentra really make it for me.

    ReplyDelete