Saturday 22 May 2021

Six on Saturday - 22 May 2021

1.  When I feel the garden is in the doldrums, or maybe it is just my mood, I find satisfaction in caring for my succulents and propagating them. I don't have very many, and on the whole have them for many years.  From time to time the house plants get brought out to be rained on:


Caring for succulents only involves  gentle work such as removing any dead material and potting up, propagation and rejuvenation etc. Unless of course they are in large pots, but I am working on reducing those, as with my manual handling hat on, they do not make safe weigh training items!  The larger ones are in the conservatory for the moment and had their moment of care last week.  These succulents are mainly house plants.  The pan in the foreground is a Haworthia:  Haworthiopsis venosa subsp. tessellata (Veined Haworthia).which has the longest of flowering stems I have seen.  Back in 2015 I took a picture of the stem when it was about 1 metre long.  The pot on the blue table was repotted last year, but it has now had its three flowers removed! 




Portulacaria afra variegata. was bought late last year and I had been admiring it elsewhere for some time. After spending the winter in a small pot on the kitchen windowsill, it was time to take it up a pot size. 



2.  At the same time the crowded pan of Echeveria elegans, which spend the winter in the conservatory was turfed out, some fresh young rosettes selected and replanted in new well draining compost, topped with grit.



I had so many rosettes which I could have make something of, if I had mixed sufficient gritty compost, and found several local people who would have wanted them.   It was 7 am and threating to pour, and what would I do with umpteen little pots of these? 


I ought to be more disciplined and just throw the lot away, however here it is in the front garden, just by the small clump that successfully overwintered and is now coming into flower.  This has survived, frost, snow, rain etc.  It had a few leaves swell up and go black, but these have been removed.


3. The nasturtiums grown from seed found in the bottom of my posh coat pocket are wondering when it will be summer or even just stop raining and the sun come out. I must have been in a 'posh' garden and found some old nasturtiums seeds last autumn. The original plants were very compact with dark flowers, and yes I do remember where I was.  To repay my debt I did take round a couple of my unusual Pelargoniums for their collection. I'm sure a mouse would have eaten the seeds as they lay on the ground, and now I feel that I have deprived a mouse of its winter store!

4. The  Corylus avellana Scooter, planted a few weeks ago,  is coming into leaf.  In the very early morning light the dew/rain drops catch the light, and my eye, but I can't quite get the right picture...

Corylus avellana Scooter


5. Clematis Sugar Sweet growing in a pot a mixed perennials is fully coating the hand made trellis.



6.This dainty little plant from China is growing in my estimation,  Semiaquilegia ecalarata is starting in flower.  I was a little under impressed with it previously.  I allowed it to self seed, then moved a few plants around and they seem to be much happier, or maybe they are in  a position better to be appreciated. The green and purpled infused leaves are also rather attractive the rest of the year. Now that I know I can easily raise new plants from seed, but this I mean they self seed, and are happy to be moved, I shall be viewing up different parts of the garden to try it.  I'm not quite sure how long lived the plants are. As they are described as short lived perennials it probably is a good thing to keep a few new seedlings in different parts of the garden, and discard older plants.  I like the way they are growing through surrounding encroaching plants, just as seasonal wild flowers do along the edges of woodland and fields.

Semiaquilegia ecalarata

We had our first 'in person' monthly Henton Village Gardening Club meeting, and  we were delighted to welcome Alasdair Moore from Heligan. He came up for a 'break' to visit a friend, who is also a member of the club. Along the way, during a visit that morning to another 'Holy' garden, picked up another great gardening mind who came to the talk.  At the meeting I was wearing the same jacket when I visited their garden on the day the nasturtium seed was acquired!  My blushes were well hidden by my mask.

Almost as much  excitement now, as I go over the the Prop's site, when Jon gathers a few of use that enjoy cataloguing things from our garden, sharing etc, each week.  




11 comments:

  1. I can't remember who kindly sent me seeds of Semiaquilegia , and I'm glad to see what they will look like. I sowed them and we'll see.
    Nice collection of succulents: the mix on the blue table is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alasdair was due to talk to our gardening club last November but it was cancelled. There's been no word about it resuming yet. Your Semiaquilegia looks rather bigger than mine and I've seen no self sown seedlings yet. I'm worried about it getting the mildew that the Aquilegias have been hit by this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll report back on the mildew resistance, and as soon as I have seed, I'll announce it, and should you like some of my strain, let me know. All my other Aquilegias in the back and the front garden have no mildew to date, they are just a self seeded strain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the twisting stems of the Corylus avellana Scooter. We have the same coloured shed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see a bit of your succulent collection - it's good to have the option of gardening indoors at the moment!

    I do like the Semiaquilegia. I've never grown it myself, but always find myself admiring it whenever I come across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seed will be harvested this year, and you are on the list if you wish Andrew.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely form your twisted hazel has - will it retain its vertical habit? The semiaquilegia looks a useful addition and I will look out for seed - did you start yours from seed yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathy, it is described as keeping its vertical habit, and not growing as strongly as the usual twisted hazel, which for a small garden and that position will be perfect. I bought the Semi aquilegia a couple of years ago as a plant at a HPS plant sale. The ones I pictured were from seed. I shall harvest seed to share this year, as soon as they are ripe, as I think the trick is to sow them fresh. I'll let you know when that is.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  7. I can't believe the flowering stem on that Haworthia. The Clematis Sugar Sweet looks rather good and aptly named.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love a good tale told well, Noelle. Your posh coat Nasturtium fits the bill very appropriately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when I was going into those gardens this week with a friend, I had a nod from this Great Gardener and I wasn't wearing that same coat, so I fear I have been 'clocked' and no amount of disguises will protect me. There was however a genuine sign of recognition, so I think I am welcome, and he hasn't yet read this confession.

      Delete