Saturday 24 July 2021

Its been too hot - Six on Saturday - 24 July 2021

 Its been too hot to garden, well to garden all I would want to.  However as it was also too hot to mount any expeditions, it meant that I had more early morning time to potter, to water and to prune.  Shrubs in the front garden have been pruned, so much so that I had to go to the tip rather than wait for the green bin collection.

1. We have been taking all our meals in the garden this week. Its in the garden: so just sitting out in the garden counts, doesn't it?

Pasta with home made pesto, yellow and green courgettes, garden peas, goats cheese and bacon pieces.


2.  Yellow courgettes.  I grew two plants of Courgette Atena Polka F1 from seed.  Compared to the two green plants they are seriously underperforming. Although there are male flowers, the females are not swelling properly.  However if you catch them day two after flowering about the size of a large thumb, they are fine. What is going wrong with these?

3. Green Courgettes Patio Star is growing in the ground and as far as now are without fault.  

4. Grow your own Basil from the grow your own tomato and basil soup in a match box Christmas present is doing well, and was the basis for the green pesto.  



A few young nasturtium leaves, mint and basil leaves were whizzed up with cashew nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, etc..or and home grown garlic.

5. Home Grown Garlic is now nicely dried off.  It had to be brought into the utility when the temperatures rose far too high in the garden shed.  For now they are hanging in a nice airy place.



6. I have a few peas from the short row, nice and tasty, but the plants are suffering in the heat.  When podded the large handful went into the braising courgettes to make up our Friday evening Pasta Supper.

6b. Just in case Number one is out of order:

Cucumber Burpless

When he who is indoors has finished washing up and tidying, and I did go in and help as it was still so hot,  I might just have a rest with some cucumber slices over my eyes.  

After I had exposed my two Cucumber Poinsett plants to the cold and rain, and caused them to pop off its clogs and die, I quickly started up a couple of Cucumber Burpless seeds I had left over from a previous year. Even though it was just this tiny cucumber on Monday, yesterday I harvested it full size, as I thought it may damage the plant in the heavy winds we had forecast for last night. This morning I noticed that the next one is  swelling nicely, so from now on it will be a lovely cooling cucumber every few days.  The two plants are only growing in two old David Austen Roses green rectangular pots. 

I bet there will be some veggies being posted this week, but it will also be great to see what is looking good in not just The Prop's garden but in those of other blogging friends.  I'm joining them.


12 comments:

  1. It certainly has been a tad warm this week! Much cooler today, so I'm grateful for that.

    I do find that the yellow courgette plants aren't as vigorous as the green, or maybe that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the yellow ones growing next to the green ones is more vigorous, but it is the poor quality of the fruit that I have noticed. The second plant is in a less rich soil, so it would be unfair to compare it, and it has yet to yield anything. A lesson learnt, that the yellow ones are probably not worth growing here.

      Delete
  2. Your meal looks delicious, there is something especially wonderful when it is homegrown. My cucumbers don't seem to be growing as quickly as yours, I shall have a stern word. Very impressed by the garlic, it must be nearly time to plant again. Definitely going to do some this year. Stay cool, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll plant a few of best cloves, about twenty at the start of October, and if I don't have room, I'll pot them up in individual pots.

      Delete
  3. That home made pesto sounds rather tasty. I've yet to try nibbling on a nasturtium leaf. I may try it when we have salad again on Monday. Your garlic looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Noelle - this was a lovely read as it sums up perfectly how to enjoy your garden and your own produce. It conveys how much you enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there is such satisfaction, but also a big letdown when the slugs and snails can make a meal of a good row of young lettuce.

      Delete
  5. I've always found the yellow courgettes to be less vigorous but this year they are doing better than the green ones. The variety is 'lemona' from Marshalls which I hadn't grown before. Or it could just be the randomness of nature and nothing to do with the variety. Anyway your meal looks lovely and sitting in the garden should definitely count as a Six in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather prefer small pattipans when it comes to the yellow curcubits, something like patti pans when it comes to flavour. I shall revert to those next year. I have just read up about Lemona and it sounds a good plant to grow. Its on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here it was too hot for the courgettes and cucumbers: the fruits lacked water, didn't grow bigger and the flowers were not sufficiently pollinated. With the rain and the mild weather that comes back, it's much better, and they start again.
    Your meal looks tasty ! A true appetizing and refreshing summer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it's definitely been too hot to garden Noelle. I like the look and sound of that pasta dish and may give it a whirl some time soon. I've just grown one patty pan plant this year and so far it's mainly leaf and not much in the way of patty pans but there are signs. Your cucumber looks all set to take off nicely and keep you well supplied.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too hot foy my peas. They sizzled and proceeded to go over before we had chance to pick them. In the end we did and they were edible but lots of work just for two portions!
    Isn't it just fabulous to be able to dine outside. It definitely counts!

    ReplyDelete