Saturday 11 September 2021

Six on Saturday - 11 September 2021

The coutyard or gravel area is now as tidy as it is going to get.  All those plants that I had promised people and which had been settling into their pots havea all been distributed. 



1.The large multistemmed Aeonium Velour, has now been broken up with many friends and other fund raisers the beneficiaties of its largess, Only five rossettes have been kept and are settling in niceley.  Next spring the best will be selected to grow on in a special pot and the rest distributed again.



2. Last year, in the autumn I split up the two Asters: Monch and King George. The warning is usually to split in the Spring, but I thought I could get away with it. I lost Monch: both the divisions that I planted straight away and the ones in pots.  King George though has done well, and three sections are doing nicely.  It was the same with the pieces I passed onto my friend Alison.


3. Is it normal forViola Pedata to flower in the autumn?  Oh, it is in its home land in and around the Mississipi it is, so why not here too!



4. This week's bee magnet is Allium senescens montana glaucum.  It is making quite a good sized cushion of leaves and flowers this year.  I saw a very large clump when visiting Derry Watkins's garden during the week.  I wouldn't want this twirly leaved allium clump to get much bigger, so once flowering is over, I shall be dividing this one.


5. I acquired Salvia syanescens earlier this year from Pottertons and that plant which you can just see behind the allium in the picture is going well.  I am even happier that a cutting I took earlier this year has taken well.  This one I shall grown on and have it in an 'Alpine pan' to go on the display shelf. I have taken it partly as an insurance, as the one in the gravel garden needs to be moved.  A few plants in there require a shuffle around now that I understand exactly when they are likely to flower, and which plant is hidden at that time by others.




Another kilo of beans awaits me, as soon as I've posted this! Pleased to say the weather is lovely today, and I shall be able to sit out in the garden to slice the beans. It is a piccallili type of preserve, which we enjoy very much during the winter. 





10 comments:

  1. I love your table top display, gorgeous aeonium, your friends are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your table with the aeonium and little red and yellow plant, a pretty combination. Also the allium is pretty stunning. I have a clumping one that I planted at the end of last autumn and I’m just seeing leaves coming out now. I’ll be delighted if it looks like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, that is the table in full sun, and since it has been too hot to sit out there, some plants were moved there. The little red and yellow plant is a bidens. I look forward to seeing your allium.

      Delete
  3. That aeonium is superb too! I love the 2 tones of yours. ( and mine is still a young boy...).
    Do you know how the salvia will flower ( colour) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the aeonium takes about three years to reach this size, and then I start again! Yes the Salvia flowered with shortish deep purply blue flower. It flowered at about the same time as the Origanum Emma Stanley and just behind it, and I would like a wider seperation, hence why the need to move it.

      Delete
  4. That aeonium is a beauty. I couldn't remember when the best time to split asters was so that was very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a most striking aeonium Noelle. Do you bring it under cover for the winter? I must grow runner beans again. Just one wigwam of French 'Cobra' beans this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Aeoniums come into the conservatory and I have an overnight froststat on.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting mixed bag on Saturday, Noelle. I can't imagine what the chutney would be like - is it crunchy? And sweet or tart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chutney is delicious: sweet and tart, soft but with a bite. We love a pile of cooked chickpeas mixed with the chutney as a dish with 'cold cuts'.

      Delete