Saturday 25 September 2021

Six on Saturday - 25 September 2021

 Over stuffed, that is what comes from being away for nearly a fortnight.  You might think that is what I am feeling, but although we had some fab meals out, I weigh the same as I did when I left.  Overstuffed is what I think my garden is.  I just can't seem to come away from places with new plants.  I must be delusional thinking that they will find a home.

1. Mr S drove me for over a hour to visit Beth Chatto's garden and it was definetly worth it.  Thisis a glimpse of some of my holiday sourvenirs. Crocosmia Emily McKenzie came from the another supplier, but I came home with Verbena bonariensis 'Little One', Phyla nodiflora, and Limonium bellidifolium all of then I saw growing in the gravel garden.


I was impressed by the gardens and also the nursery and the quality of the plants.  One plant I had seen coming into flower was the yellow crocus looking Sternbegia.  Someone on the yard found me a pot from the polytunnel, I went through the checkout, and as I usually do I check that everything went through.  I felt the price was a little low, and double checking it went through as £0. Of course I querried this, but as the plant was not on the system, I was unable to pay seperately.  Of course they were pleased that I had pointed it out.  I am pleased that I noticed it, but sad that I was unable to find a way for paying for it.  They are now on the site for puchasing, but maybe the garden is too stuffed!

2. It only takes a damp day to bring out the snails, and this little one managed to slither its way up onto Dahlia David Howard. Good job I went out just now to take some pictures for this SOS.


3.  And away they grow.  I picked some lettuce yesterday after having been 'starved' of my usual salads. That explains the few missing leaves in this picture.


4. I'm very impressed with Salvia Leucantha and will take cuttings shortly as I am happy with the rate of growth in one season, and would like the space to grow things in earlier on it in the season.


5. One of the plants I saw growing in the Chatto Gardens was a ground hugging plant called Phyla nodiflora. It is a creeping vervain know as Turkey tangle frogfruit, worth it for the name! I'll give it a try around the stepping stones.


6. A warm sunny September is definetly the right weather for ripening chillis.


Thats my Six.  This weekend will find me chopping back things, taking cuttings, and planting out new acquisitions. I'm going over to join in with The Prop and others. 


8 comments:

  1. So did you not get a Sternbergia after all? That's a shame if so. The Phyla nodiflora though - what a fabulous name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it had to be left behind. However that was far better than the guilt I would have felt and that would have lasted for a long time. It will be something I can 'hunt for' in the future.

      Delete
  2. This month of September is positive because it's relatively mild and sunny, which benefits the chilies. I didn't know this Phyla nodiflora and had to google to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice holiday and that you enjoyed the Beth Chatto Gardens. I've ordered plenty of things from there, but never been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely glimpse of your garden with the round stepping stones. I must look up just where Beth Chatto's garden is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope that you had a great holiday Noelle. Mr S is a star to drive you all that way to visit the Beth Chatto Gardens. We visited there many moons ago on our way to catch a ferry from Harwich. I think it was in August and the gravel garden was breathtaking. Would love to return. What an intrepid little snail mountaineer. You've got to admire them 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fortnight away from your garden, Noelle? That's very brave. I look forward to hearing more of your itinerary in due course. I too need to rein myself in on plant-buying, but looking at your picture no 4 'over-stuffed' is all relative as your garden looks nicley abundant rather than overstuffed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gaps merely are places where there are 'dormant' plant such as bulbs or spring ephemerals. I am sure plants are getting planted on top of other plants!

      Delete