Monday 27 February 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Am I conckers?

 For a month at least, I've been enjoying 'Sticky Buds' on the Kitchen Windowsill.  On one of my regular circular walks, usually to the letter box on the Keyward Estate, I pass a T-junction where the planners deemed to set back the houses, to leave a couple of green spaces, in which were planted Horse Chestnut Trees.  They are probably around 50 years old now, and fine trees to admire.  In that area the roads are being dug up to renew pipes for one of the utilities, and the contractors are treating the grassy areas very roughly parking up their equipment but the inevitable damage to the branches of the tree.

I spied a broken branch on the floor and rescued some shorter spurs.  They have been on the kitchen window sill and I've enjoyed watching their development.  It took a few weeks before I was confident that the branches had survived their weeks on the ground.  Last week the sticky bud covers were being pushed back with surprising woolly looking leaves emerging.


This morning as I lay on the kitchen floor going through my exercise regime, I could see the promise of  flower buds.


Not only do I look beyond at the spring flowers, there in front of me are details you would never see high up on a tree. I may be going bonkers or 'conkers' as we used to shout out in the playground, not using a selection of my spring flowers, but for me it would be a shame to miss this opportunity.


This week our WI photography group have a meeting, we meet on zoom and put forward pictures to share and discuss on zoom.  This month's challenge is to take pictures to show the effect often artistic of over or under exposure.  I'll be submitting the following two.




One of the little jobs to do today, sadly after the pictures have been taken, is to clean the window inside and out. I may even try a little black and white. I'll be joining in with Cathy and other IAVOMers so if you would like to see some prettier spring beauties or even exotic ones from our overseas friends. so go and have a look there. 

11 comments:

  1. I love that you rescued a few branches and buds are starting to show. Here all is white and covered in ice that is finally melting. But the promise of spring shows beautifully in your vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow and Ice too are beautiful. I guess you will only have house plants this time of the year.

      Delete
  2. Such an unusual choice, I love it! All those intricate details showing how artful and perfect everything is that nature produces. Share another vase when it's in full flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horse chestnut buds are quite fascinating to to watch as they come into growth Noelle. They look almost velvety at that stage and are so lovely when their white candles appear. Those pickings must have appreciated the warmth of your kitchen as the two trees at the top of our lane are still looking most wintry indeed ๐Ÿ˜€ I hope that you enjoy your photography group meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anna, the warmth makes a difference, and I don't think they would look like this opening on the tree, but that has given me an idea to watch them there, and compare thm.

      Delete
  4. So no conkers after all! ๐Ÿ˜ Still lovely to see your sticky buds - it always amazes how buds from twigs such as these will eventually open, often well before they would do if they were still on the tree. Hope the actual trees survive the contractors' parking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only conker tree forcing as it were. I believe it was only the lower branches which did grow quite low which were knocked and broken.

      Delete
  5. It's great that you were able to take the contractors' mess and create a moment (or many moments) of beauty with it. I can't think of any plants with buds that will gracefully unfold that way here. Your photography group sounds like fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Photography club started just before Covid and it has been a real tonic, with lessons once from a professional on how to use the mobile. I had an ancient one then, but with the new one, I have hardly taken out my others.

      Delete
  6. Not bonkers at all Noelle. It's lovely to see those buds up close…, usually they are too high on the tree to see properly. And there will be plenty of spring flowers next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I forgot to add my name to my comment again. The last comment was me.

    ReplyDelete