Saturday 25 February 2023

Six on Saturday 25 February 2023

This Saturday it is one of those perfect mornings with wall to wall sunshine. We have had rain, and now we have seasonal temperatures, it feel like Spring.  I'm joining in with Jim to sow six things from the garden.

1. Starting off with some 'tropical' colour, here is the Tropaeolum tricolor which has been sitting, or rather climbing up the structure I made for it.  Close up you can see the amusing blooms, which look to me like a little shoal of tropical fish. They are in the same family as Nasturtiums.  They are edible and used in high end cocktails and salads, so in the absence of tomatoes, they may catch on as the colourful addition to salads this week.  I have not yet seen any self germinators of the nasturtiums in the garden yet, still too cold I should think.




2. I am quite disappointed that almost none of my special daffodils have emerged.  I am beginning to think they won't.  I wonder whether they were attacked by the Narcissus fly?  The standard Tete a Tete are doing fine in this little clump though.


3. By the front door the white pansy is looking perfect this week.  Now I have uploaded the picture I can see that I had forgotten to deadhead the little spent daffs.  This is how the ready planted tub I bought at the market is looking like, and it has been great for many weeks now. That will be a quick job!


4. Planted up just at the beginning of the year, my first Cyclamen Society seed allocation are germinating. A few seedlings in around half the pots have germinated, so I am hoping they will all be up soon. The longer growing period they have this year, the more sizeable will be the little corm, which will help it through the first dormant season.



5. I would love to imagine my conservatory bed as being covered in early spring flowers, with lots of those delightful little yellow blooms.  I had visited a friend's garden,  a well established one which had carpets of choice cultivars of Eranthis, at the time when not one single one had come up in the garden.  A couple of days ago I had another look and found one  at the other of the bed from where it was originally planted three years ago.  Maybe a squirrel or other animal dug it up tasted it, and after a 'yuk' moment spat it out or buried it for later at the opposite end of the bed.  It is staying where it is..



6.  I posed last week's crocus and another new one just to see the differences clearly. The smaller crocus is Crocus Advance, That is what they were labelled as when I picked them up at the Potterton's Stall as corms last year. Advance is a mellow yellow compared to Crocus Goldilocks behind. The detail of the outer petal is as beautiful as that on some of the Tulips. I'm not convinced these are Crocus Advance but have contacted Pottertons to check that I had not wrongly labelled the corms.  Could it be Crocus Angustifolius?


 



Yes this is how the crocuses will look all fully open, and the bees are flying around. 




17 comments:

  1. I had tried to grow the tropaeolum tricolor from seeds, but had no positive germination results. The flowers are really beautiful! I will have to try again with fresher seeds. Did you buy yours? Or is it grown from seed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them as growing tubers last year from Avon Bulbs. They have a dry summer dormant period, after which I repotted the tubers up in fresh compost in the autumn.

      Delete
    2. That's right it should be easier with tubers...

      Delete
  2. I am loving your crocus! They look so lovely in their pots. I am also rather envious of your tropaeolum. And lastly, horrah for the cyclamen germination, I bet you were thrilled when you spotted it. Have a fab week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cyclamen germination was a delight, though I did find a couple of little blighter snails lurking but pleased I inspected them before the grazed the whole lot! Have a good week too Sis.

      Delete
  3. Spring has sprung in Somerset. The crocus looks similar to the Gypsy Girl one I grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many similar crocus all lovely of course! Thanks for commenting Brain.

      Delete
  4. Very exciting regarding the Cyclamen seedings. The Tropaeolum tricolor is rather stunning and edible too - it looks like the sort of thing that would be deadly poisonous somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am really chuffed about the seedlings, but also don't overlook my other cyclamen that I started from seed previous years. I shall start 'culling' except for the ones that really perform well. It takes about three to four years for their true performance to kick in, so a slow process.

      Delete
  5. A splendid Tropaeolum tricolor, I've not heard of this plant before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my eye on them for about five years, I am very lucky to live not that far from Avon Bulbs and visited them with the Alpine Gardening Society last year. They also turn up to the local plant fairs, often with very choice plants.

      Delete
  6. Your Tropaeolum is on a more sensible sized support than mine, they really don't hang about when they get going. I'm thinking I need to get some yellow crocus to liven up my drifts of purple, are any of yours vigorous to grow in the garden do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have grown in addition to the new timers but not yet garden tried and tested Crocus chrysanthesum var fuscotinctus which is flowering in its fifth year now after being split and scattered over a wider area last year. If you want high impacts the Dutch bulbs such as Mammoth Yellow is bold and a good grower. I am going to get some for the front garden this coming season. Yellow is so cheery.

      Delete
  7. Oh it sounds as if you had a balmy morning Noelle - here we had sun but there was a bitterly cold wind so it was a step back into winter. You must be most excited to see those cyclamen germinating. What a striking crocus whatever it's name 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't quite balmy Anna, I did give that impression didn't I, but it was the sunshine, still air, but cooler temperatures that made it a perfect spring morning. Later it turned greyer with a breeze so quite different then. Yes, I take my glasses off to better see them.

      Delete
  8. The tub with the white pansy is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those crocus are wonderful. It makes me want to get my watercolours out.

    ReplyDelete