Saturday 18 February 2023

Six on Saturday - 18 February 2023

 It is grey and on the heavy side of mizzley today, light is poor as it has been for half the week, when there is a respite there is nothing nicer than to admire the spring flowers.  I think this is the reason that I enjoy snowdrops, crocus, cyclamen and other spring plants.  If I had the right type of soil I would definitely go for one of the fine camelias the small flowered and leaved white ones which Jim is growing.  Jim is a 'master plantsman' and each week several people join up with him to share some of things which are taking place in their gardens.  Do check his and other bloggers posts out.

1.  As bright and golden as the yolk on a Maran Hen's egg yolk, these crocus light up the grey days.  Pottertons came for the first time to The Rare Plant's Sale at  The Bishop's Palace Wells last Autumn.  Normally I buy from them by post.  I see from their schedules that they are coming this way for more fairs this year! This was one of several types planted up in pots for their first year, they are easier to see on the 'shed shelf'.

Crocus chrysanthus 'Goldilocks'


2.  Mr S and I like pea shoots, but they are not always stocked in our supermarket, so after reading a little about growing them at home, and finding some peas in a supermarket, I planted a couple of pots, which are now waiting for the sprouting to take place.  Hope they will be safe in the shed under a dome.



3. Every few days a different small clump of specials shines out in the garden.  Here Galanthus Magnet displays its characteristic slender arching pedicel, which allows the flower to gently swing in the slightest of breezes.  In 2018 I received Galanthus Magnet as one bulb from Cathy and it is enjoying its position. This is one of the forms selected by James Allen who lived in Shepton Mallet where the Snowdrop festival is being held this week.  



4. Cyclamen coum 'Tilebarn Elizabeth' is also growing in the Conservatory Border: with its flowers standing out against its silvered foliage, with its bicoloured flowers, it really deserves to be in an Alpine House.  However without the luxury of such a structure, it still is worth growing it amongst other cyclamen. If one of the seedlings comes up similarly marked, I shall 'rescue' it from the melange and pot it to bring on for the plunge bed in the large Alpine glasshouse (in my dreams) for the' Shed Shelf'  next year.


5. I suppose you can only judge a snowdrop when it is growing well in you own micro climate.  With the elements throwing everything at the blooms over the last two weeks, those with thicker petals stand up the best and this one bought last year at the HPS snowdrop day  is proving its garden worthiness here. Here is Galanthus Bertram Anderson.

Galanthus Bertram Anderson


This is the description of Galanthus Bertram Anderson from Avon Bulbs: "Named by Chris Brickell in 1971 as a posthumous credit to EB Anderson as it was found in his garden in the Cotswolds, a fine rounded beauty with thickly textured petals, one of the Mighty Atom - like varieties that are hard to differentiate but are brilliant snowdrops."

6. For another year running Crocus minimus Spring Beauty is my top favourite crocus in the garden.  From one pot in 2018, I have a nice collection along part of the edge of the conservatory border. It is certainly a good garden crocus for me. Some of these will be potted up once they have died down to form a display for the shelf next year.



Crocus minimus Spring Beauty
Pale lilac petals flamed with dark plum on the outside, with the inner petals a darker bluish purple.  Fine leaves with a thin silver strip.

Mr S very patiently walked round the various snowdrop stalls and exhibitions at Shepton Mallet with me yesterday, and when we got home and I removed few plants from the boot, he said to me that he had only just realised why people who love snowdrops are called 'Galanthophiles': ie named after the plant Galanthus, how he has spent all this time and not know that is probably my mistake, I shall start telling him the full name of the plants!  I think 'Croconut' will be an easy one for him.  I am neither a Galanthophile or a Croconut, I think you need to have many dozen varieties and to be prepared to pay for the rare and difficult ones to claim those labels.  I like them and have a few, but I feel the same way for a lots of plants.  If they grow well in the garden, I grow a few different types, find out how to grow them well, enjoy them, and also appreciate other special ones grown by other people in their gardens. 

10 comments:

  1. 'Croconut' made me smile. I'm neither one, but just enjoy seeing them at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see why Crocus Spring Beauty is a favourite with you. I need to start a wanted bulbs list, somewhere I will find it come catalogue time. Pea shoots sound interesting, I've never eaten them let alone grown them. Any kind of veg at this time of year is welcome though and the peas I planted in the ground in autumn were battered by the weather, then finished off by rabbits. Are there pea shoot varieties? (rhetorical question, I will look in my seed catalogue)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr S who doesn't like lettuce, likes pea shoots. Apparently marrowfat peas the dried ones are cheaper and do the job, I shall report how they do. I was wondering about the peas you had planted. The rain seems to be wetter at the moment, adhering to petals etc and making them soggy.

      Delete
  3. What Jim said regarding Crocus minimus Spring Beauty. I've always had mixed success with Crocus, although a few clumps of the lilac variety have come up each year. You've inspired me to try and grow pea shoots - they seem to be the 'in' garnish when eating out of late - and very tasty they are to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with crocus I have good drainage and sun in the spots I plant them. It is easy to have them growing round other plants that do their thing later in the season.

      Delete
  4. These peas look tight to me in this pot. But it also depends on the variety. My chickpea seedlings have started.!
    The last crocus is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they would be tight is you were growing this to have peas after planting out, but these stay in these pots, and you snip the shoots off to have salad shoots. I presume you will be growing chickpeas to plant out and grow chickpeas in the garden? Let me know Fred.

      Delete
    2. yes I will. Now sown in pots, I will plant them outside in a few weeks (months?). 1st time trying.

      Delete
    3. I believe the idea is that you leave then in the pots and snip off the shoots, perhaps there are two harvest, and then they are put on the compost.

      Delete
  5. Spring Beauty does live up to its name - it's lovely. Mr B came to Thenford with me yesterday and was happily occupied learning the difference between the nivalis and elwesii. Perhaps they will start to catch the bug/

    ReplyDelete