Monday 6 February 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Snowdrops and Cyclamen

 Today is lovely and sunny yet still cool at around 6 C (in the shade).  However it is warm in sun, and Mr S came to warn me about getting cold as I dawdled in the garden checking out and admiring some of my special snowdrops. I'm joining in with Cathy and others who link in with her posy found after rambling through her garden.

These are all the blooms on Jacquenetta.  I think I may have cut a couple before, but rather than offer one from this or that snowdrop, this week, I could add a few of the cyclamen coum as a contrast. The dark leaves are from Pittosporum Tom Thumb and the lime green from Golden Shrubby Honeysuckle Lonicera nitida 'Baggesens Gold'.




I tried taking the picture in the conservatory but it was a little too bright there, but the cropping does show good detail of the inner markings on this double snowdrop. 


I found the February from my book club a gripping story...


 The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson drew me in and once started, I had to grab every available moment to complete it! I'm looking forward to the discussion and reviews of fellow club members.

13 comments:

  1. The cyclamen make a pretty contrast with the snowdrops and the shrubby foliage. Is L nitida a shapely shrub, would you say? It's one thing I have considered for an empty spot n my shrub border. The black elephant makes a good backdrop, just quietly getting on with his business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best thing is for me to add that Lonicera as one of my Six on Saturday this week. At this time of the year I have to scout for things to include, and shall have you in mind when I write it. That Elephant is very old and belonged to his grandmothers.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, Noelle, and I love the elephant as a background feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The markings on the snowdrop really are pretty. The Pittosporum is proving itself valuable for winter foliage. Glad you enjoyed a good book - nothing quite like that feeling of being drawn in and wanting to do nothing else but turn the pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacquenetta it is a cracking little double snowdrop with very neat inner petals. Yes I like that sort of book, and I shall be on my later to collect more books from the library very soon.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! The elephant is a treasure. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia. The elephant is quite delicate being hollow pottery but it is lovely to have it on open display.

      Delete
  5. Snowdrops and cyclamens are such wonderful companions Noelle, especially the pink flowering cyclamens. I have some in an old Belfast sink with snowdrops and a clump of black mondo grass which looks lovely at the moment. Yet another book for me to investigate forthwith 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anna, yes the Black Mondo grass would be perfect. I am reconfiguring the bed with a big patch of cyclamen coum, and will redirect some black mondo grass there. I sent you an email, which I hope you received.

      Delete
  6. I admire your Jacquenetta, so intriguing to see the pattern on flowers. Love the cyclamen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, she is quite perfect, and is increasing, which meansthe growing conditions suit her!

      Delete