Monday 25 October 2021

In a Vase on Monday - African Sky

I was given a nicely rooted cutting of 'African Sky'early this year by  Angela.  As soon as this Salvia plant needed pinching out, I simply put the bits in the side of the pot, as Angela had shown me.

I planted the main plant in the garden, and kept an assortment of cuttings in a pot.  A little light prunning to prevent wind rock, suddenly provided me with a little inspiration for my Vase today.  I was going to go 'Cold Turkey'(more about that next week)regarding the post today, but African Sky provided the ultimate inspiration.




I have found out that there are Elephants in Nigeria, and I know these to be African beads, but I know they did not come from Nigeria.  As I have been reading my current book set under African Skies, I have been looking up the meaning of various words and been interested to see the various clothes, head gear and jewelry that is worn by the affluent.  In 'The Girl with the Louding Voice', Adunni the main character comes from the poorest of circumstances and is subject sadly to much abuse.  Adunni's Voice is loud and clear, and at first I was taken back by the 'poor English', but this is how she talked and strangely I found that I also read this in the 'French Creole from Mauritius' and the sentence construction and words were very similar.  I can now read 'Nigerian pigeon English fluently! What a great first novel by author Abi (Abimbola) Daré.



I haven't yet finished the book, but can whole heartedly recommend it. It is a real page turner, and I have had to pull myself away from it to get meals cooked, and this blog written.

By chance Angela who gave me this plant is also in the Book Club reading this book. She is also a member of the Wells Literary group and had been working hard during the current festival.

I joining with Cathy who has 'Sweet' arrangement this week.

6 comments:

  1. That's a lovely salvia. Interesting connections too. The book sounds good. It's time for my neighborhood club to make recommendations for our next reading cycle; I'll take a look at this one. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an effective arrangement, Noelle, and so neatly themed. I will note down this most intriguing sounding book choice of yours and perhaps add it to the three others I have just ordered as ebooks...just need to find some time to read them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautifully simple arrangement made even more effective with the addition of appropriate props, Noelle! I'm going to look into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful blue salvia Noelle. How spooky as 'The Girl With The Louding Voice' was our reading group's last book. We met online to discuss it last Wednesday and we all loved the book. I looked up the definition of some of the words but am still guessing what the "puff puff" Adunni's mother cooked was. Popcorn was my guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read about the puff puff, I thought back to a street food they sold in Mauritius. I looked up and found a good link: https://www.myactivekitchen.com/nigerian-puff-puff-recipe/ I'll be trying that soon.

      Delete
  5. Love that Salvia and I will look for the book! Thanks for the recommendation. I have to see what puff puff is?

    ReplyDelete