Saturday 2 October 2021

Six on Satuday - 2 Ocotber 2021

1.  I recently read a comment that designs for gardens rarely incorporate the area for drying clothes.  From the start I have been a non tumble dryer.  Having lived in smallish houses I have not wanted either to sacrifice the space needed for one, or have clothes shrunk, checking the tables I find most say do not tumble dry.  By watching the weather forecast, almost all the washing is dried outside.  Our washing line, when not in use is folded and stored in the shed, and when out fits in its socket around which I have a slate with a circular slot, a remanent from an old birdfeeder.  When not in use it is covered by another stone, just to stop small frogs or insects falling down the hole. The stepping stones mean than no small plants are walked on. Yes I cut down all the stems of Eryngiums Silver Ghost during the week, as I would rather enjoy the rosemary which were being masked by their browings flower heads.




2. Pseudowinteria colorata Red Leopard had to be moved this week, as we are having some work done, and I feared it would be trampled on.  I rather like it in its pot.  I had to clear out the old tomato plants...


3. Sitting having breakfast in the conservatory this morning, on a bleak dark rainy autumn day, the variegated leaves of the Weigela Florida Variegata shone out. I have to remember to enjoy this before the leaves fall.

4. From the bedroom window this morning, I caught a glimpse of the tops of the Amelanchier Trees showing the start of its Autumn Colour.


5. The Fatsia planted out into its large pot, is looking quite handsome, on the larger gravel..the gravel is a large size, but here the plants will only be in pots, except for a few self sowers.  Again the ever green leaves and their network of cream Spider's Web markings will show up well all winter.


6. As well as the tomato haulms which had to be removed, this small chilli plant had to vacate Pseudowinteria's new home.  I did plan on ditching all the chilli plants and starting again in the spring, but this small plant may be brought inside to weather the winter.

I hope I manage to get out into the garden and be able to move plants, remove plants, take cuttings etc before our heavy clay soil gets too claggy, but when the weather improves there is so much call on one's time.  Thus it was ever so.....

Over now to join in with Jon's gang and see what everyone else has been up to and not up to this week.




10 comments:

  1. The Pseudowintera is a new one to me - it looks absolutely lovely. In fact there seems to be a bit of a foliage theme to your post this week!

    Your drying arrangements are much more refined than ours - we've just got our line plonked in the middle of the lawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With no lawn here, as it would get worn down and squelchy, the gravel is the only level area with room to put the line. For a little more background on Pseudowintera try: https://noellemace.blogspot.com/2016/09/pseudowinetera-colorata-red-leopard.html

      Delete
  2. It looks like the Amelanchier is going to be a show soon. The whole of the garden is designed around the washing line here. It had to be in a small garden to ensure unobstructed laundry drying. I composed a poem on the topic a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your poem, so maybe link that in to one of your forthcoming posts.

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed that you succeed in overwintering your chilies… I tried but it was never effective and I had better results by sowing again in January. Good luck and keep us updated !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it several times before, but not with this variety, carrying on the same plant for three years. As you say an early sowing is just as good.

      Delete
  4. We don't have a tumble drier either Noelle (or come to think if it a dish washer either). Hard going though when the weather is like it has been for the last week or so. I do like the look of your pseudowinteria. Must look it up and also have a peek at my alemanchier.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap, no dishwashing machine either. Mr S is the main dishwasher.

      Delete
  5. I loved reading about your handling of the clothes line. These practical considerations are so often not handled in garden design shows. I love all the thought you've put into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With clean grit below, rather than grass or mud, there are no stains if any washing wet or dry is dropped by accident.

      Delete