Saturday 16 October 2021

Six on Saturday - 16 October 2021

1. If you go to a food festival and find a garlic stall that in addition to selling various garlic themed jars, but also bulbs for planting, how can one resist?  I bought a purple 'Rhapsody Wight' from The Garlic Farm on the Isle of White.  I was only mentioning to a friend about my growing garlic, and how succedssful it had been, and that I keep the biggest cloves to grow on. I promised her for next week, a few of my best cloves for her to try.  Now I shall be able to slit this bulb with her, giving us each two types to plant in the coming week or two.


2.  Serrutula tinctoria seoanei was moved to the front edge early in the spring, and it has settled in nicely.  That area of the bed is where there are also various marjorams growing and those have just been cut back, leaving a little more bare earth than I would have liked. The very large Teucrium has also been removed. 


3. Just along from there I have planted out small divisions of Alchemilla erythropoda: dwarf lady's mantle.  It has been dry for weeks, and I'll have to keep an eye on these and give them a good watering every few days till they are established, after which I find they are pretty resilient. I had to clear out Eryngium Bourgatii: Mediterranean Sea Holly which just died after flowering. Maybe it is one of the short-lived eryngiums having flowered for five years, I liked both its leaves and early flowers.  Empty spaces mean new opportunities to grow different plants, or move plants from other areas of the garden.


4. The Pelagoniums are being prepared for overwintering  by having foliage chopping down  etc.  Here  two pots of Pelargonium Ardens are ready to be moved to the shelf in the shed.  This is the first year that having had rain and continuing watering that they have flowered right through.  I had to cut flowering stems and leaves off.  Again I had to stop myself propagating this as I would soon run out of space.


5. When I inspected a few succulents growing in a trough by the front door, they all dropped off, into my hand and emptying the soil, I found the nasty little culprits: small fat grubs of the vine weevil. Shall I cry?  Maybe best not to admit it.  I have cut the stem of one of my favourites: Echeveria purple pearl and will pot up it some fresh compost, and keep the succulent in the conservatory. It was cut during the week, and yesterday the bottom of the stem was nice and dry and ready to go into some fresh compost. I have had this one since early 2018, however I had set some leaves a few weeks ago planning my 'succession planting', I may plant out a succulent bed for the summer next year.


This Jade Money is still in its original moss ball, and get the occuasional watering with house plant food.



It sits in this pot on some pebbles on the utility windowsill mostly.




But if a plant like this one has been growing in a little moss even since it was a tiny piece in moss gathered from a local bank, do I really need soil?

Crassula Kokedama 2018



6. I love trees and large shrubs in the Autumn, whether evergreen or deciduous.  I suppose that having a plant that has to grow all through the summer to flower late in the year has a whole summer long of growing and exposure to slugs and other pests.  Maybe that is why on the whole I go for the spring ephemerals.  I have a love/hate feeling about this little plant that always flowers in October. Should it go into the bin after it has flowered? I have said this each year for at least five!!! I would rather have something that is slug proof and will enjoy the fancy leaved cyclamen hederifolium instead. 





18 comments:

  1. I really like the Serrutula - very nice! Sorry to hear about the vine weevil - it's something you never know about until it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weevils seem to love Echeverias; as you say, doing away with soil might be the answer, there'd be nowhere for the adults to lay eggs. I'm thinking perhaps a very deep layer of small pebbles? (By the way, your link on Jon's comments is wrong)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim I've put on the correct link, I was in a rush as I was going to a talk that morning and wanted to get things together and seeds that I had only half prepared.

      Delete
  3. Interesting and unusual Six-on-Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the garden is small one maybe finds different details to talk about. Many thanks for voicing your appreciation.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I might try putting my Pelagoniums in the shed too now that there's a shelf next to the window. That's rather interesting regarding the Jade Money plant in moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My overwintering is just like yours in a shed by the window, but if it gets really cold they come into the conservatory with a frost free overnight heater. But we are quite mild down here, and some people just keep their Pelargoniums in the open porch.

      Delete
  5. Thanks! You reminded me of ordering my autumn garlic ... Last year I planted half in October and half in March, with better results for the autumn one.Nice Kokedama/crassula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred, apparently October planting and a cold spell once the garlic has rooted and shooted brings on the making of the little cloves, otherwise you can end up with one large clove, and I'm not thinking of Elephant Garlic either! That happened to me years ago when I had a large veggie garden.

      Delete
    2. I've never tried Elephant Garlic ... why not give it another try, just for fun?

      Delete
    3. OK I'll look out for the stall next year, and make sure I have some room to plant it then.

      Delete
  6. I went to The Garlic Farm many years ago, thanks for bringing back happy memories! Like your shrub in your last picture, but I don't think you gave it a name, do you have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shrub in the background is a bay tree with a twisted trunk. I didn't realise the farm was open, so thanks for the pointer Pauline, a nice idea if one is on the Isle of Wight.

      Delete
    2. We had a holiday there many years ago and paid a visit to the farm where the shop had an enormous range of garlic goodies for sale, also had a wonderful lunch there!

      Delete
  7. I like the photo of all those garlic cloves in those wooden trays. I see you all prepared for the weather to turn cold. I'm still in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A garlic farm! I bet they are the healthiest people around ;). Sadly, I've stopping growing garlic, as all the alliums I plant get terrible rust, even chives! Love the Crassula Kokedama. I've been wondering what else, other than snowdrops, would lend itself to that style. Great Six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope the rust manages to bypass this garden, as I love and grow many different types of allium. I hope you try some Kokedama and write a post about them.

      Delete
  9. Oh that is a healthy jade plant Noelle. Mine came from my mother's house almost five years ago and I'm so pleased to have kept it alive. I didn't get to Malvern this autumn to shop from the usual Isle Of Wight Garlic farm stand. Maybe I need to purchase online. Do you grow yours in pots?

    ReplyDelete