Saturday 9 October 2021

Six on Satuday - 9 October 2021

1. Just as I was wondering what new I could learn about things happening in the garden at this time of the year, when I was piqued by a friend's post on facebook about a change in one of her Dahlias.  Her David Howard had changed most of its petals, whereas on mine just a few emerged white. For a couple of weeks I was wondering whether David was developing a Mallen Streak, or was just going 'grey' as the Autumn encroached, or might have suffered from inadequate watering whilst we were away.



I had a bit of a dig around on the internet, as I had given away my lovely book on Dahlias, and came across the term 'Colour Fluidity'.  The link will take you to an interesting article on Longfield's site, together with more interesting articles on Dahlia growing.  I may just have one Dahlia in the garden, but it is still interesting to learn about such things.

2. When it isn't a spider, and don't we all have lots of those at the moment, and it still have eight long legs, and still doesn't look like a Daddy Longlegs, but with no waist and no ability to spin a web this Harvestman is enjoying the sunshine.


3. And this is not spiders' webs covering the sempervivum Sprite, and not a cultivar of a Sempervivumn Arachnoideum as far as I know, but the frost like hairs on the leaves caught my fancy.  Sempervivums and succulents seem to be having a resurgence at the moment. It is going through its green stage though when I bought it earlier on this year it was quite red.



4. When I found a late flowering small allium I felt I had to get it, and it is just starting to open its flowers now.  Allium thunbergii Ozawa which is a small allium will hopefully clump up in the gravel garden.

5. A single plant in isolation with plenty of space to itself with its flowers glowing in the early morning light is a joy to behold.  I hope the bidens survives the winter.


At the stage when I was helping plant out the Elizabethan garden at Kenilworth Castle I learnt that when prize plants were first grown, they were grown in singles with plenty of space and given due reverence.  On the whole I seem to favour that approach, though I also like mass planting too. The first potato to come to England was planted in Kenilworth.

6. The cyclamen hederifolium whether special ones in pots such as this 'Silver Shield' with pink flowers




or otherrs such as this all Silver leaved form in the garden, continue to bejewel my garden, and give me great pleasure.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Dahlia link - very interesting. I pointed out the difference between harvestmen and spiders to my son. He's now obsessed with them! Funnily enough, this year seems to have been a bumper year for harvestmen.

    A lovely couple of Cyclamen to finish off the six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, and well done you for helping your son enjoy the wildlife in the garden. He may well spot new spiders too.

      Delete
  2. The sempervivum Sprite are very pretty and perfectly formed. It's odd, but I've seen a lot of harvestmen this year having not seen (or at least noticed them) for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weather and the late sunshine, and fewer activities make us observe nature more closely.

      Delete
  3. That is a really interesting article about dahlias, Noelle - thanks for the link. The pink allium is so pretty and unusually late flowering. Your policy on single planting certainly shows the plants off well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had planted several of the bidens and it made a 'haze' of flowers, the beauty of the individual ones would be lost.

      Delete
  4. The bidens among these stones are very bright and I hope you will be able to keep them over winter. Lots of small sempervivums here too, more numerous and smaller in diameter compared to other years I think

    ReplyDelete