Monday 28 March 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Frugality?

I've always enjoyed the challenge of using what I have rather than discarding.  I'm not perfect but I find pleasure in using things up, for instance some of my best suppers have been finding what needs using up and making a meal of it, rather than leaving for yet another day and then having to throw things away.

Two plants were recently divided and repotted, and required removal of material, which would have ended in the recycling bin.  They looked so attractive even though still in tight bud, so decided to use the best to put in a vase.  Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem' has now unfurled leaves




It ended it with two vases, one without flowers but with bark leaf and seeds which have been on the mantle piece for months.  The other one still looking very good with the Alstromeria fully opening over a few of days.  


I could have gone out and picked some lovely daffodils fresh today, but I have friends coming today and tomorrow to look round the the garden, and for now they need to stay where they are.  If it turns cool they may well last and be available for next week's vase.  

Over with Cathy to whom a band of us gardeners link in, where without doubt there will be an abundance of opulent arrangements.

9 comments:

  1. Recycling at its best. The Alstromeria in front make for an entirely different look. Very nice, Noelle. Enjoy your friends' visit in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Susie, it is a joy to have friends round isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Oh that's a gorgeous piece of bark and sets off your leafy first vase, but I am astonished at your alstroemeria trimmings flowering so early...my Indian Summer is barely pushing above ground. Love this kind of frugaility though, and you demonstrate it so well - thanks ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Indian Summer is growing in a large pot close to the wall of the house. Had I not needed to divided it, it would have give a dozen stems within the next week or so. Jim advised dividing it and replanting it yearly, I shall do this in November this year.

      Delete
  3. You did very well with your recycling project, Noelle! Your Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' looks a lot better than mine at present too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty foliage. Indian Summer is serving you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you don't discard. It is a perfect way to add plant material to a vase as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's certainly not being frugal Noelle but a case of want not, waste not which is a great principle to follow. A most pleasing to the eye arrangement. Would love to try alstroemeria but apprehensive as I believe that snails and slugs are fond of them 🥲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not have a problem with slugs or snails on this one. I'm going to try one of the divisions in the garden, and will report back later in the year.

      Delete