Friday 11 March 2022

Rye, Pecan and Apricot Loaf recipe


Inspired by Jordon Bourke's Healthy Baking, and his Rye, Pecan and Date Loaf, I followed his technique but changed the ingredients slightly

380ml warm water

7g fast action yeast

1 tbsp maple syrup

100g wholemeal rye

300g strong white flour

150g wholegrain spelt flour

10g salt

75g pecans gently roasted

75g dried apricots chopped and steeped in some boiling water

2tbsps sesame seeds.


We like this type of bread with cheese or pate, or toasted with honey, so I don't make a sweet loaf , so although fruit and nut, this is not a sweet tea bread. The mixture was shaped free form without the proving baskets, with one round one and two oblong.  A nice size for two people each sufficient for two meals.

I borrowed this book from our library, and it does contain a number of recipes which I have tried or will try.  


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely loaf of bread. I struggle to get a good rise with rye flour in my bread maker, even when only using small quantities as in this recipe. I am going to give spelt a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be well worth rolling up your sleeves and trying this one Brian. It takes around 3 hours all told before going into the oven. The stretching and folding every 15 minutes x 4 times in the second hour is what gives the lift. Sometimes my rye loaves in tins take overnight to rise.

      Delete