Monday 28 March 2022

Even better than Sticky Toffee Pudding

 I made Dan Lepard's Rye Malt Banana Cake in anticipation for a few friends popping round today and tomorrow to view the garden, and having a demonstration of plant division. The recipe came to me via Bakery Bits newsletter, but in any case I get Dan Lepard's posts of Facebook.

A number of changes to the cake were needed simply because I didn't have all the ingredients, and baked it in a 20 x 30 tray deep oblong Silverware bake tin.  I didn't have walnuts, so used pecans instead which had been lightly roasted, and didn't have any roasted barley malt, which I am sure to put onto my next order from Bakery Bits. I used 30g of malt syrup instead. I find tray bakes easy to portion up and freeze, as we wouldn't want to eat so many slices just the two of us over a couple or more days.

Tonight we had a lovely big bowl of spiced pumpkin soup with lots of chicken bits from the stock, with added lentils.  After a' soup dinner', I like to serve a pudding.

We were out of yogurt, but we had been saving the cream from the top of the goat's milk which has just started to be delivered by Sarah.

Into the small frying pan went a good desert spoon of sugar and a little water, boiled together and a dessert spoon of malt syrup, then the banana added.  This formed the 'sticky' element, then the cream poured over, and a couple of pecan nut halves for me, but none for him.  You can guess who is the nuttiest of us two!

If I had any ways of improving this, I would have warmed up the cake in some foil in the oven.  It was still delicious.  I have sixteen good sized portion, so in in effect one could make sixteen desserts for a large gathering with this recipe.  Five stars for Dan's Recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment