Monday 7 March 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Miniature Daffodils

What a  small daffodil! Isn't it just perfect for a very small arrangement.  With its yellow petals which sweep back cyclamen like,  from the narrow frilly-edged trumpet, this daffodil blooms appears twice as long. The whole plant is around 12 cm high, so finding a small enough vase made me veer towards the small vases I have for snowdrops. 

Narcissus cyclamineus is a delightful new addition to the garden this year.  I remember years ago walking up in the countryside in Spain and spotting some of the smallest cyclamen I had ever seen.  At the time I thought they were so small due to their situation on the mountain path in poor gritty soil, little did I know then that these were amongst several of the different  wild narcissi which grown in Portugal and Spain.

This year I can spare but a small piece of  Corylus avellana Scooter, so needing only a small piece was an ideal opportunity to try it in a vase.  Just to balance it is the smallest of leaves from the winter green fern Fern Polypodium cambricum Richard Kayse.

I'm joining with Cathy as do several to share material from their gardens each Monday.

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting form the daffodil has. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's a teenier variant of my vase! �� Those cyclamineus narcissi are adorable and something I shall seek out for my own garden too. And the hazel? That's something I need to check out as well - is it a miniature version too? I love your vase today, Noelle, thanks so much for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hazel is more compact and slow growing that the other twisted hazels. Anna bought one earlier this year too. I shall keep it small, after all bits will be cut off for vases! So pleased you liked it, yours was still small though.

      Delete
  3. That is a wonderful tiny daff. I guess the petals are reflexed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and its form also inspired its name of cyclamineus as its petals reflex back as found in most cyclamen.

      Delete
  4. That's the first time I've seen this interesting Narcissus. Although the color proclaims it as a proud representative of the Narcissus genus, it's shape is surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the windswept look of these little narcissus and must try to grow a few. Will try them in a pot I think. They look most at home in that vase 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting narcissus. I've never seen it before, but the flowers look like little golden dragon heads. Cute!

    ReplyDelete