Saturday 12 March 2022

Six on Saturday - 12 March 2022

 

1. Last year for the first time I grew a Viola from seed. It was Viola tricolor kindly sent to me by Jim.  I liked them so much that when I was choosing send from the AGS list you won't be surprised that I selected some.  No it is not overexposed, I was sowing the seeds in the shed and the top of the table is mirrored to reflect as much light as possible.



This week I sowed five different types:

Viola cornuta - Belmont Blue also known as Broughton Blue.  This viola dies down each autumn and fresh growth appears in the spring.  This will be just the ticket to fill in gaps after the spring bulbs. 

Viola Bowles Black named for E. A . Bowles

Viola Grypoceras Exilis which is called the 'cyclamen leaved viola. This one will be a challenge, and I may keep this one in a pot.

Viola Corsica

Viola Altaica this is one of the ancestors of the garden pansy.

2. In the conservatory bed a different set of spring flowers are in their prime such as the corydalis 

Corydalis Beth Evans

Not forgetting the lovely white ones Corydalis Malkensis:


3.  Whatever lush foliage there is later, I love the stage when you are just watching the small buds on delicate shrubs opening. The Amelanchiers may well be in flower by next Saturday but I love the shape of this little very very slow growing acer. There appears to be no winter damage so it will probably be its best year:



4.  I have a little plant given to me by gardening friend Alison, that is already raring to go can you believe it? Already? It is!
Scabiosa columbaria 'Pink Mist'.  Alison did say it was hardly never not flowering!  



6. Last year I divided one of the clumps of Pulmonaria Sissinghurst white, and must have given away several good plants.  Here is one small piece at the foot of the bird table doing its thing and attracting those huge bumble bees.


Talking about bumble bees, they can't resist the large catkins on Salix Mount Aso laden with pollen. So much pollen that it masks the pink fuzziness it previously displayed.


I'm not sure if the bumblebees could fit into the tiny trumpets of the Narcissus cyclamineus, so I have had pollinated them using the flowers from the little clump growing in the garden which were dripping with pollen.  Lets hope there will soon be swelling ovaries. I'd like to have a go at growing these from seed.



Its HPS Somerset talk today, so I shall be meeting friends and enjoying a good lecture. It is going to be a fine day so my friends, many of you will be out enjoying your garden. With a little snatch devoted to checked out Jon and others from Six on Saturday.


16 comments:

  1. I've also started viola seedlings and as much last year it worked as there is nothing started… I'm going to redo. Do you start them on a heat mat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do Fred, I don't have a heat mat. They say it is best to exclude light but the seedlings that come up in the garden have just self-seeded themselves. The Viola Tricolor overwintered very well, and I also noticed lots of little seedlings coming up too.

      Delete
    2. The light! That was my mistake... I will start again without light, like phlox so, thanks !

      Delete
    3. They also need coolish temperatures Fred, I put the seed tray in a black plastic bag somewhere sheltered any sunshine where the bag would get warm, and check after a week for germination then every few days. Once germinated of course lots of light but no heat or sunshine direct.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I've never thought about planting violas from seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year they were so easy. I showed the little seedlings last year on my blog, so if you are curious you can just type violas in the search engine at the top right hand, and see the posts as a result of the search.

      Delete
  3. Before I forget to tell you, I am semi-booked to come to The Rare Plants Fair at the Bishops Palace in September, perhaps we could meet up? Anyway, what a darling little daff! Good luck with the viola seed, I've grown Bowles Black before (what happened to that?) and it is gorgeous. Have a good week Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to meet up at last. I'll look up the date and mark it on the calendar. Unless we are away I go to all the fairs there.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing how the violas do. Wow to the scabious in flower - that is keen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew viola cornuta from HPS seed a few years back and it's just about evergreen and flowers for months. Your Beth Evans is a deeper colour than mine, could be mine is a seedling, still nice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also could just be the lighting. I've just looked out of the window and they still seem to be a deep colour, but then we haven't had much sun to speak of. As they fade they become paler. I look forward even more to the violas and hope they germinate.

      Delete
  6. The corydalis are looking very fine. A Scabiosa that flowers and flowers sounds like a very good addition to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those little Narcissus cyclamineus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those white corydalis are so sweet - not seen a white version before - and love the idea of the long-flowering scabiosa...blogging is such a good way of being alerted to new plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are lovely: I had been growing a few for several years and then bought one more when ordering some other corydalis from Andrew who posts Under Kind Hearts and Corydalis frequently on Six on Saturday. He is very knowledgeable on corydalis and his blog and shop are well worth visiting:https://kindheartsandcorydalis.co.uk/shop/

      Delete