Saturday 2 April 2022

Six on Saturday - 2 April 2022

 I was going to focus on whites this week, but I seem to been charmed by some other blooms and plants as well.  We have had flurries of snow: yes for sure, and it was not all the blossom being blown off the Amelanchiers which are still looking fabulous.

1. At first I was just going to post a picture of the White Thalia daffodil growing in the gooseberry patch.



Then I went and explored the internet and learnt a little more than when I first bought the bulbs over two years ago.  For one they are a Triandus cultivar, bear two flowers per stem, tolerate light shade and heavy soil better than other daffs, have two or more flowers per stem, with coronas pointing downwards and the surrounding perianth 'reflexed' meaning that they bend away from the corona.  I just felt the description was apt as all of this is shown in the picture. I had planted them after growing in a pot the first year into a slightly shaded spot in heavy soil...so luck rather than understanding!

2. Lovely white and green on the emerging leaves of Hylotelephium  erythrostictum 'Frosty Morn', aka 'Alison's sedum'


3 The very first blossom on Pear Beth. It is a Supercolum tree planted in December 2019.  Each evening frost has been forecasted, she has been swathed in fleece. And yes we have had frost and light flurries of snow after several weeks of warm due weather,


4. White daisies, well at least one good white daisy plant in this mixed pot.


5.  The species tulips in the front garden are going over quickly in the heat, but now it is cooler I hope they will last a little longer.  The multiheaded Turkestanica are already in seed which is about three to four weeks earlier than last year which was the first time they flowered in the garden.  Tulipa Clusiana 'Lady Jane' has settled in nicely and indeed increased.  



6. Tulipa Whittalii Major is strong but still not increasing, with perhaps fewer bulbs coming up than on their first year last year.  As it is supposed to spread via stolons,  I am still hopeful that it will increase, but maybe the better option is to add this to the bulb order later this year.


As it was windy the only way I could get an unblurred picture was to use the flash...I may try again and substitute the picture.







15 comments:

  1. Love those white narcissi at the top of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good news about the Thalia, I really would like some here next year and we are heavy soil and I have a partly shade bit that would be just perfect! Lovely pear blossom, well done for looking after it so well. Hope the weather warms up a little now, we are all very confused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed the pear survives the frosts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your pretty flowers will withstand the night frosts they forecast. Here, another 2 hard nights... but my poor pear blossoms may not be able to resist… Thalia is always a success. (I don't know if there are different varieties of Thalia but mine have a slightly creamy heart)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pear is lovely, with the little dots of pink showing against the pure white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had more, I would pick the blossom for a vase. However maybe I shall be able to save a few blossom to bear some fruit.

      Delete
  6. Do you think it's worth dead heading the turkestanica to stop them setting seed? I love the Thalia narcissus. It's lovely and delicate and certainly doesn't mind the shade and clay soil here. I hope your pear blossom makes it through. I have a plum in flower, but only one piece of fleece, so I had to choose between protecting that or the plants in the greenhouse. The plants in the greenhouse won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure whether it is worth dead heading. I am trying to find out if it is stoloniferous. If that is the case I would dead head. Some interesting facts about some of the species here: https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/TulipaSpeciesFour. We always have to made choices, I remembered that I kept some of the light netcurtains we have along the side of the conservatory when I renewed them, and they serve pretty well, and are of course washable, unlike the fleece.

      Delete
  7. Sorry, I got distracted by the 'Even better than Sticky Toffee Pudding' post. The Pear Beth is very pretty indeed and I'm hoping I did actually plant some Thalia last autumn - I think I did or I certainly intended to. I hope the species tulips do spread a bit next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if they don't spread I'll be disappointed, but I don't want them to spread too much! A little feed next week I hope will set them up.

      Delete
  8. Yes, white is such a good colour to have, especially as the dusk arrives and they almost glow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way different colours come to the fore in different light conditions, adds a whole lot of interest when viewing plants in the garden, you are right.

      Delete
  9. Thalia is a favourite with me - absolutely beautiful. Sadly they were flattened somewhat by sudden and torrential rain on Saturday. Only a single short snow flurry on Saturday afternoon which I missed as I was having a shower 😂 My pear has just fully opened up in the last couple of days or so. You're being more diligent than I am with 'Beth' wrapping her up in a blanket on cold nights. Must get my act together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I only have a small garden and not hundreds of seedlings to look after, hence the time and energy to cover Beth!

      Delete
  10. Love the stamens on the pear!

    ReplyDelete