Monday 4 April 2022

Spring Beauties In a Vase on Monday

 With small flowers it is a delight to cut them and arrange them, and have them on the table.  Their detail can easily be admired and even on a cool dull day after the bring cold clear days, a little posy is much to be treasured.  So rather than kneeling down myself to admire the flowers in the rain, my kneeling Terracotta Army miniature soldier can demonstrate my usual position when looking at the flowers in the garden.

Spring Beauties in a Vase this Monday


This new treasure this year is the palest of blue grading to white at the tips.

Muscari Americanum Esther

I have them growing in a bowl on a pedestal by the front door and also on a shelf in the back garden.  When I had snipped a few blooms, with second ones coming from each bulb, this was no robbery, I went around to choose something to go with them.  The blue green highly dissected leaves of Dicentra cucullaria was the top choice, and then I thought why not add some of its pantaloon shaped flowers.  Since getting my first little pot in 2018, a healthy population allows me to have some growing in a pot as well as in the garden.

To finish it off a few of the tiny blue flowers from Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' PBR growing nearby just to show how pale a blue is the Muscari Esther. 


11 comments:

  1. They're lovely, Noelle. I'm wishing i could have snipped some of your beautiful blue brunnera for my vase this week.😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty posy. I love blue flowers in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your 'Esther'is a such subtle and delicate colour Noelle. It looks as if it has been lightly dipped with watercolours. I've not come across her before. My 'Jack Frost' has not opened any flowers yet but I'm really looking forward to seeing them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, how beautifully you describe the colour of Esther. I think this was a flower when the plant decided it was warm enough. Many stalling and awaiting warmer weather.

      Delete
  4. Blue and white is always so effective, and Esther is an intriguing compromise between the two. My brunneras are very slow this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sweet display, Noelle, and the addition of the kneeling soldier makes a very nice vignette. I'd love it if I could grown the Brunnera but it's not a Southern California-friendly plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen so many different Muscari this spring and am imspkred to look around for more varieties for next year. This one is lovely, and the colours are so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was when I saw them in flower on one of my regular go to stalls at the Saturday market, that I thought they would work nicely. I did wash all the soil off and replanted them, as I thought they were far too close together and sold in the format for home decoration then to be thrown away. This way I think they stand a chance of coming back next year.

      Delete
  7. I adore small flowers of spring...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete