Monday 18 April 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Daisies

 For Extravaganza or even egg related posts I am sure you will find some interesting ones if your click this link to Cathy's post on Rambling in the garden. Yes I bought eggs for the family and was also given a lovely little soap egg, which I shall cherish. For a eggless arrangement I have collected a few daisies.

Last year I bought a pack of six daisies and planted three in individual small pots, and the remaining three in a pot where Tulip Cabanna was planted.  Yesterday I went out for a longer cycle ride for several months, taking just over an hour.  However pleased I was with my increasing level of fitness, I was a little saddened to see, when putting away my bicycle, that one of the tulips had shed its petals.  


Its structure is unusual with bits of petals growing out of the surface, but generally the bleeding of one colour into the other, is worth looking at, and this inspired me to lay out the petals around todays vase of those very daisies growing above the tulip bulbs have been flowering since well before the tulips emeged.


The greenery is from the tips of Salix Mount Aso, which I shall need to cut back fairly soon in any case. I just wanted to check the quality of the photographs from my new camera, and zoomed in on the the bottom three daisies in the above photograph by cropping, and thus a second crop.  Cropped further, the tubular shape of all those individual petals is revealed. I don't think I would have ever noticed this by eye alone.  I found out a little more:



I have just read that in the 'Compositae Family' many flowers are gathered together resembling a single flower.  I also did not realise they were edible! And can be infused to make a tea.  Since I am into 'botanical' teas I may well try a cuppa!  probably mixed with mint.

Happy Easter Everyone.


9 comments:

  1. Oh you must be pleased with your new camera Noelle - the images are most clear. Pretty bellis daisies and such delicate feathering on the tulip petals. Did you grow the daisies from seed. I have nibbled tulips but only the once - not tasty enough for me 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are very pleased. No daisies simply came in a six pack, no flowers at the time either but healthy leaves. No it is not the tulips that are edible but the daisies.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, the daisies are edible...? Hmm, not sure whether I want to try them... ��The colours of yours look perfect with the tulip petals, and make an imaginative combination. Well done for your cycle ride - I sampled a spin session during a period when the swimming pool was closed and couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was (although I was told you get used to it...)��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a question of finding 'your seat'. I love cycle rides out in the fresh air, where I can see over hedges and enjoy the scenery and the wide range of birds we have.

      Delete
  3. I'm pleased you saved the tulip petals to share, Noelle - they're works of art in themselves. The daisies are lovely too. I've no doubt you'll enjoy experimenting with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to crop pictures! You see more, I think. Pretty tulip petals, I guess those are parrot tulips? Accentuates the colors of the daisies nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are parrot tulips. A group of friends from the WI a formed a gardening group, and it not coincidence that many of us grew some parrot tulips after seeing them last year together at Yeo Valley Gardens.

      Delete
  5. Lovely colors and a wonderful display with this spring vase

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty way to savour those petals! Very pleasing to the eye. The Bellis are very underrated flowers. Close up they are so intricate.

    ReplyDelete