Monday 11 April 2022

In a Vase on Monday

I'm pleased to be once more growing a few hellebore.  I have missed them and have to learn all over again how best to care for them.  Of course the go to place for Hellebore is Ashwoods and having read their care notes was surprised to read that they do flower better with a bit of sun.  Since I bought three young plants early this year that are yet to flower, the fourth a yellow flowered one, is already setting seed, and I wondered whether or not I ought to dead head it so that it builds up its strength rather than sets seed.  



Whether this was right or wrong, it is too late now, and the flowers with swollen seed capsules are the basis of this week's vase.  I found before that choosing 'maturing stems' meant the flowers did not flop. A few stems of Pittosporum Tom Thumb, Carex comans bronze form, and the nicely cut leaves of Geranium malvifolium made up its companions. Not altogether as spring like as I could gather from the garden, but without any pollen, they will be able to stay on the mantle shelf for a few days without causing us any hay fever etc.

I 'm joining in with Cathy who has the theme of Blood and Thunder and a delightful old Football Rattle.

12 comments:

  1. This makes a lovely vignette. Everything here is covered in yellow pollen, but seems to be coming toward the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, the diffused natural lighting worked nicely here.

      Delete
  2. Yes, that's an interesting question and perhaps worth emailing Ashwood about for future reference. They do take time to establish if you have a smaller plant so it could be worth doing in future. I wasn't sure about yellow hellebores at first, but am glad now I have some! �� Your combination of material works well today and although I don't know that geranium it has very pretty leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a summer dormant geranium, which throws up its leaves in the autumn and then hopefully will be in flower in a couple of weeks time, before the whole top growth disappears.

      Delete
  3. Love the combination of shapes and textures in your vase. I have not seen yellow hellebore before..I love to cut dill flowers but the pollen drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a thing to consider for us two, too, as we both can have streaming eyes etc, or headaches even within a few minutes.

      Delete
  4. You've made the yellow hellebore flowers look all the more intriguing with the elements you chose to combine with them, Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I do like yellow, there is such a range and depending on the combination etc, for instance with blue this would have had a different atmosphere.

      Delete
  5. Very elegant Noelle. I share your feelings about pollen. I'd love to bring some more narcissi indoors but the scent and pollen drives us mad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that hellebore is a most subtle and pleasing to the eye shade Noelle. A yellow hellebore is a definite on my shopping list for next year 😄 I have a book on hellebores somewhere and will check to see if it mentions deadheading the flowers on young plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, Hellebores can take such a time to establish into a big clump, I guess I was spoiled by the lovely one I had in my previous garden. Looking forward to hearing what you advise.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful hellebore and vase.

    ReplyDelete