Saturday 16 April 2022

Six on Saturday - 16 April 2022

 The fine weather yesterday with temperatures reaching just below 20 C with sunshine the whole day, as well as spending the whole day at a rendezvous day with our family walking around Avebury and up to Windmill Hill has at this moment obliterated from my mind all the gardening I may have done during the week.  What I did not do was prepare for the hot day, and when I got back some of my plants needed a plunge in a bucket.  The new peat free compost is a problem in terracotta pots.  Is anyone else finding this so?

A quick trip round the garden with Six items that caught my attention.  There will be many more of course back at HQ ie The Propagator's post where others like me gather share and tell each Saturday.


1. Apple D'Arcy Spice is in flower, about a week earlier than last year.



2. Looking around the garden, I feel I need more yellows to catch the light, I shall have to ponder that.  Maybe I ought to just divide and place more of this lovely yellow Primula' Port and Lemon'.  As the season advances the port is getting more dilute and the lemons stronger. It started flowering in December and the party is still going. Primula Port nearby in contrast is well drained and flowered only for a short time.


3. Looking cute just 'downstream' if the dwarf  daffodil Hawera Narcissus 'Hawera' another triandus daffodil, but this time yellow, with many stems bearing five blooms, just along the same bed, is looking so cute.


4.  Another yellow hiding but growing out of the wall: Corydalis cheilanthifolia.  It chose to grow here and depending on where the ants may have deposited the see, I hope to see new plants in due course. 


5. Yellow lights up the shade, and also with good spring coloured leaves, this dry shade tolerant plant is now in full flower: Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphureum' may not be one of the fancy ones, but its simplicity I admire, and I brought a piece of this from my previous garden.


6.  As for this golden lady Tulip Clusiana Chrysantha: she has been groomed to perfection by the ladybird, no greenfly on this one for sure!




18 comments:

  1. Yellow is a great colour for a garden. Doesn't yellow also mean friendship? I think I was told this in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely yellows. I like primula port and lemon and the sulphur epimedium with its rust marked leaves especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Avebury, sounds like a wonderful day. I love yellow in the garden, in truth I love all colours. There is a whole lot of loving going on! Happy Easter Sis, hope it continues to be a great one x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty colours of the veins of the leaves of epimedium, (but also flowers are very pretty of course).
    So we have almost the same weather with yesterday 21°C. A bit more expected today ! Have a great Easter weekend with your family, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is glorious too today, and we had to have lunch in the shade. A very Happy Easter to you too Fred.

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fan of yellow flowers and that was a lovely selection. The apple blossom is rather beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pic of the ladybird on tulip, it's certainly good to have them around to lend a helping hand removing the aphids. Yellow is really good in spring, I think, and your primula is especially lovely and remarkably un-nibbled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slugs have other go to plants, and seem to leave this one quite alone, an added bonus I would say.

      Delete
  7. The peat free compost I use doesn't have the water holding capacity of peat to be sure, whatever pots it is in. Not sterile either, which peat is close to being. For cuttings I've taken to microwaving it first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about microwaving it, but I don't have one. I've taken to mixing the compost with vermiculite or in some instances perlite. I may even go to using garden soil! Of course I'm not a 'proper gardener', and not taking cuttings of rare plants like you.

      Delete
  8. Interesting comment about the peat free compost - I wonder if that is the case? Here, I just assumed I had neglected the primula in pots in what has been a very dry spring! Although not generally a fan of yellows in the garden your selection certainly shows the benefit of including it. Hope you had a lovely family get together 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found peat free compost difficult to use. I got blossom end rot on all my tomatoes two years ago because it (New Horizon) would not hold water. They were in the greenhouse in terracotta pots. Sylvagrow seems a bit better in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Sylvagrow compost that I am using. It makes me feel like giving up gardening in pots!

      Delete
    2. Bunny Guinness has done a video on youtube querying the need to end peat use. I found it interesting.

      Delete
    3. I've just listened to Bunny's video and she has made a good point, surely burning it is wrong, but for growing plants instead I agree. Otherwise, I won't be bothering.

      Delete
  10. Pretty Six-on-Saturday as usual . I'm hoping one of my 2 apple trees which I cut back drastically last year will produce blossom at least, maybe not progressing to fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult knowing what to cut back. It is strange that one finds nicely shaped trees growing at verge edges most probably germinated from seed from a discarded apple core, which have had not attention at all.

      Delete