Saturday 23 April 2022

Six on Saturday - 23 April 2022

 The Propagator Jon would most probably approve of some of my propagation this week.  I have no doubt he and other linking into this weekly group of home gardeners will have some interesting views of the past week in their gardens.  The link to Jon's post where everyone links into is included in this preface'.

1. Two pots of Persicaria runcinata Needham's Form ready and labelled to place on the HPS stall in Somerset this morning.  I received the seed  from Jim, who collected the plant/seed from Edward Needham's garden.  There is some question about the name, but I am going with Jim's.  Here in the garden it is hardy but dies down during the winter.  It has to be one of my favourite ground hugging beautiful leaved plants in the shady border. Grow wild name it as Persicaria sinuata EN. Is anyone able to tell me what the EN stands for? This is what it looked like last Summer, for me it is deciduous and winter dormant and has already started to show new growth with the delightful leaf shape.



2. I love the way the light catches the blooms on the Tiarella, which is flowering a couple of weeks earlier compared to last year.




3. Getting down to catch the morning light on flowers and foliage shows up the wonderful details on small plants.  The details has fascinated me, and if only I had the botanic words to describe them.  If all fails take a picture!

Polemonium reptans Lambroke Mauve

In early January as I was clearing some leaves blown to that area , a piece dropped off.  The side rosettes are quite brittle, I felt quite sad.  It also happened again a second time.  I am very pleased to say both bits took well, meaning I have three nice plants, and the new smaller ones are in flower and forming new side growths of their own.

4. Further up the same bed is a little plant I acquired at the HPS stall at Yeo Valley Gardens  just a few weeks ago. It is already forming the characteristic seed heads of that group of plants,  I know that dead heading really does promote more flowers, but  I have been watching the candelabra arrangement of the seed pods form over the last few days: green topped with red at the tips are the 'Storks' bills'. 

Erodium trifolium Sweetheart
I grew this in a previous garden but lost it the first winter.  Hopefully hear with less harsh winters and much better drainage it will come through to next year.

5.  Other attractive seedheads are forming and it is only April! Rich purple petals are no longer needed, now that the flowers have been fertilised.




6. When recently acquired plants flower for the first time, it can be either a pleasant thing or one in which one's sense of what is beautiful may be tested.  These two together could be termed a 'gothic' combination, and for now all I can say is that of the taller of the dwarf bearded Irises is behind the shorter one.  I would love to know your candid opinions on the DB Iris Gingerbread at the back.  DB stands for Dwarf Bearded. If I was to try and sell it I may tamper with the picture and  describe it a a mix of gorgeous browns. If it was in flower at the time of  perusing the plants would I have bought it?  Would you? Would you or I even want one?  The jury's votes are awaited.



I shall be spending the morning helping out on the HPS stall at our groups sale, and maybe I shall come back with plants surplus to a full garden! As for the weather update, another frost free week, but sadly no rain.  Have a good week everyone.













14 comments:

  1. Iris is my favourite flower but unless Iris Gingerbread has a glorious scent, I am afraid I would not be able to fall in love with the Gothic (good description) colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as possible I have a smell of Gingerbread and report back.

      Delete
  2. I love an iris, as I may have mentioned once or twice, but even I would find it hard to like gingerbread. The beards just clash with the falls, so its a no from me. Interesting that you say your tiarella is early. I was wondering whether some things were getting a bit ahead, but haven't get got round to checking last years photos to see if it was true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately no rain either here for the next fortnight… The reserves are emptying.
    Pretty tiarella in bloom.
    I'm sure you'll come back with lots of leftover plants from this HPS stall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, I strickly only buy plants I really like. As for HPS left overs, I do either manage to persuade contributors to take them home, or else sell them at a discount. I do enjoy selling good plants. All the ones I took sold!

      Delete
  4. I always find great satisfaction when cuttings grow. As for the Gingerbread Iris, that's a hard one, it's not very colourful is it? But then it might suit someone's colour scheme. Bit of a niche market for that one I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your description of suiting a 'niche market' Rosie.

      Delete
  5. Gosh, the Tiarella looks rather splendid. Funnily enough I was looking at some of my posts from last year and thinking the garden is a few weeks ahead this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope that you enjoyed your morning Noelle. Your HPS group seems most active. A rather beautiful tiarella - which one is it?'Gingerbread' unless it was the cake sort wouldn't tempt me as apart from the colour combination I've never had much joy with irises apart from one. I'm sure that some people would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tiarella is Spring Beauty. I had it in the last garden and brought a small piece with me. I also have Tiarella Mint Chocolate which has a deeper and more pronounced marking but the flowers are markedly more peachy, so needs to be position out of eyesight of each other.

      Delete
  7. The persicaria is really interesting and not one I have come across - was it easy to grow from seed? I am not keen on bearded iris, but Gingerbread is a real curiosity and will have a certain appeal to some, I am sure... 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I found no problem, but the seed had been harvested by Jim. Maybe he could send you some seed, or advise how to harvest it, and I can then send it to you. The only thing I have other Persicarias so will have to make sure that both are not in flower at the same time.

      Delete
  8. What clever photography resulting in beautiful pictures. I especially like the irises.

    ReplyDelete