Monday 26 December 2022

Christmas wreath for the In a Vase on Monday spot

 Each Christmas I aim to make a wreath to place either on the front door, or as at this house hanging from the light by the front door. I am joining in with Cathy as usual this week and I am sure there will be Ivy and Holly on offer.

I offer up this wreath and my angst, and subsequent reconciliation for finding and being content with new rituals suited to the situation.  Christmas has started to become a problem for me, but going forward, since we have now dispensensed with an annual tree, I am going to embrace the wreath as my contribution to celebrating the winter solstice and add a festive air to our home for the Christmas period.  It was most helpful reading a post by Sel Calderbank,  giving a viewpoint from another country and I now feel happy with a calmer viewpoint towards this period. 

Here is this year's wreath.



It grew by accumulation with no plan whatsoever.  The thin few strands of willow twisted into a plain circle were reclaimed from last year's wreath and stored in the shed over the year.  From our workshop lead by Alison where we made table centres, I salvaged a couple of stems of conifer and green eucalyptus, and the variegated ivy comes from that growing on my side fence.   That is how it remained for a few days. The ribbon came from my ribbon box and has been used of many Christmases.




It went slightly against the grain to add a few silver sprayed seed heads, but we had had the can of silver spray paint which miraculously still worked after so many years, and the seed heads were remnants from a vase made up for our reunion. 


When we unpacked our Christmas tree with all the decorations we took the decision to dispense with the tree.  That and several of the decorations were given away in time to be of use to some family or person.  At this stage the wreath looked noticeably bare.  Our neighbours really go to town with houses light up and Pippa across the road makes up the most glorious of wreaths.  Inspiration then came and a few of the retained Christmas decorations were then added to the wreath, including the lights which we have had for several years.  They are quite simple, not flashy meaning they don't flash, or have a timer, and require me to pop out and flip the switch on and off, no not to make them flash, but just to turn them off later in the evening to conserve the batteries.  

I hope you have all had a Christmas to remember, and maybe a few lessons about how to be happier with what you achieved, and plans to find simple pleasures in the coming year.  

11 comments:

  1. Oh that is simply lovely Noelle and what a warm festive welcome when you come home or visitors arrive. I think that it's sometimes too easy to feel under pressure at this time of year and to loose sight of what this time of year is all about. I hope that you enjoyed both yesterday and today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. We both enjoyed ourselves both yesterday and today, and each having time to enjoy our hobbies too!

      Delete
  2. This looks lovely, Noelle - I do like to see a wreath made with whatever can be found in the garden or kitchen. or garnered nearby... just like IAVOM I suppose! For some reason I didn't get round to making one this year, so perhaps I need to include a prompt in my 'garden diary' to make next year's early in December. It was interesting reading about your decision to forge new rituals - certainly made me think. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Cathy. I was cutting back some grasses on Christmas eve, after I had finished the wreath of course, and thought how lovely they would be in the wreath, so I have made a mental note to include some next December.

      Delete
  3. I love to see a wreath made from the garden, it looks wonderful with the lights. I agree about calming down on holiday things, I had a tree, but no wreath! Happy Boxing Day, Noelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, we had a lovely day yesterday. To think it will be a new year when we post again!

      Delete
  4. I think the best wreaths do grow "by accumulation" as you described, Noelle. Every year, I wonder if I should downsize my Christmas tree. I haven't done that yet but, as I once told my husband I wanted multiple tree (in a house that isn't particularly large), I consider that contenting myself with one is a step in the right direction. My husband will probably hold a parade if I eventually decide to dispense with a tree altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what is right for yourselves, and of course if you have the space, time and artistic skill a tree is a delightful addition. I now go and admire the many trees put up in the Bishop's Palace.

      Delete
  5. Your wreath is lovely, as is its evolution story. It's especially fitting during this season to accept and adapt and feel comfortable doing so. Best wishes for happiness in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete