Saturday 24 December 2022

Six on Saturday - Twas the day before Christmas

I'm beginning to come out of 'my dormancy', we are past the shortest day, I know there are days with longer light coming, that is the main thing, it may well be colder ahead of us, but I know I can weather that. I'm not so sure about the severe conditions in North America, which make the recent run of cooler days here seem balmy in comparison.  Maybe in another life I will be or was a snowdrop, a crocus, or a cyclamen but somewhere wild on a mountain side with wonderful views.  I know that Jim is probably a member of the Camelia family or may even be a fern, but on this earth at present he is also our leader, and I shall therefore be anchoring my post to his. 

Less about such things are over to six things relating to the garden.

1. The shelves are complete and up, and now labelled 'your birthday present' by Mr S. They are just perfect and will never need painting: hurrah!


2. This February at the HPS Snowdrop convention, I bought a bit pot of snowdrops which were not in flower and not one I knew anything about, but were divided into three and now they are up. It was worth taking a risk, not so much a big one as I was assured they were lovely, and had just grown in a large pot for several years,  The descriptions for Galanthus J. Haydn which is a form of G. Elwesii does say it is an early flowerer.  So until I acquire Three Ships, this is my Christmas day snowdrop.



3. I didn't get round to clearing the Hardy Geranium x Magnificum leaves on the plants that line the driveway, but hey a bit of colour is welcome.


4. Now that most herbaceous plants are resting, the evergreens are playing a staring role. I have three of these delightful Euonymus shrubs slowing increasing in size.  They are from some attractive shrub somewhere I don't remember, from which I took several cuttings.  It may well be
Euonymus japonicus 'Golden Maiden'.  



This one is not quite in the right position being too close to the wall,  which means early spring, it will be moved to its final position.  The two in the back garden are now doing nicely where they are.

5. By my front door currently I have two pots set up on sturdy pedestals, which were former speaker stands, which by the way need painting...might sneak that task onto Mr S's list.  

On one side a pot of trailing Clematis Moonbeam around which I sneaked a couple of Cyclamen coum bulbs, primarily for their attractive variegated leaves, the flower is a Christmas bonus.


6. On the other side is a cheerful pot of winter beauty, for which I need to give full thanks to Graham from Tadham Alpines,  He has moved from his nursery and pending rebuild of his collections is turning to succulents and this type of pot to keep up his appearances at the local markets. There are seven different plants with daffs and a good heather on the back which can't really be seen here.  The plant will be twizzled round so that each plant gets their fair share of light.


I have a dodgy knee and even going down the stairs is painful, so we shall see just how much I am able to do.  I need to give it a bit of a rest, and what better time of the year than this! No steep hill descents for me for a few days!

A Merry Christmas to you all, I shall be raising a toast to all my friends out in the garden something before lunch tomorrow.





 


9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your bad knee, stairs must be a nightmare. I think you should rest up as much as possible. Lovely cyclamen, it would be a nice plant to be. Not sure what I would be, perhaps a salvia or maybe a rudbeckia. Have a wonderful Christmas, Sis xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting better, and I hang on to the banister. Both are very pretty and summer flowers and jolly so I shall see you as perhaps a Salvia or a Rudbeckia.

      Delete
  2. You have done well not to remove these leaves of geranium which are very attractive to the eye. Pretty flower of cyclamen coum (I don't have 'Coum' variety ) . I wish you a Merry Christmas Noelle to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fred for your Christmas message, and may you find a minute or two to go and enjoy your garden over the festive period,

      Delete
  3. There could be a big difference between the plant I would want to be and the plant I would turn out be. A camellia could have longevity on its side. I appreciate the value of Euonymus and the like at this time then begrudge the space they occupy for the rest of the year, no pleasing some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now is this a Christmas party game in which I have to guess who you are. I suspect it is you Jim, but I also know there are one or two of other 'Camelias' out there!

      Delete
  4. It does feel more hopeful now we've passed the 21st. Lovely to see snowdrops and that wooden chap next to the seasonal pot is great. I hope your knee is better soon and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knee is already feeling much better, thanks Graeme. The wooden chap is in terracotta and even though he gets a scrub from time to time, he has age spots betraying his age! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete
  5. You have put those pedestals to good use. Hope the knee gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete