Saturday 17 December 2022

Six on Saturday - 17 December 2022

Baby its cold outside!  Even in the conservatory. It is probably a little bit warmer in Cornwall where Jim has his patch, under his guidance we gather each Saturday for Six things from our gardens. He may have had a sprinkling of snow, but it has been perfectly dry here.

1.  The week has been the coldest since we moved away from the Midlands.  Things appear to be standing still.



2.  Roses arrived from Van Meuwen earlier in the week bare-root and in good condition.  As the place they are to occupy also has a number of bulbs, the answer given the frozen ground was to pot them up in fresh compost.  I am sure Mr Austen won't mind that I have used some of the pots I have saved over the years from his roses to plant up the collection of Home Florist Timeless Roses.

3. Allium seed but which type is it? Earlier in the week, I gathered seeds from the little Allium thunbergii ozawa growing in and flowering in October.  I wonder whether the seed will be viable as it matures so late in the season.  I'll sow them in the March.



This pretty late flowering Allium was bought from Edulis Nursery when they were at The Bishop's Palace Wells in September 2021.  When I look at the descriptions on line, I fell that mine were not quite as described being smaller with finer leaves.  It occupied a few minutes of reading and I may have Allium thurbergii ozawa nana or Allium virgunculae instead. There are several varieties but it may take some more detail and further checking to see which one it is.  It will probably be some time next year when I can get some closer views of the flowers etc to finally nail the name! Or I may just enjoy the pretty plant!


4. Too cold even in the conservatory! We never meant to have the dining room act as a conservatory...but the plants needed 'conserving'!


5. The Cyclamen have turned green with cold! This is Cyclamen hederifolium Lysander.

Above 2 C when they have thawed a little, and since I took this first picture at the start of the week, it has not silvered up much!


Below 0 C all the silver has disappeared!



6. If it is too frosty to work outside no doubt there will be other things to get on with, but in a quiet moment, why not listen to something on the radio?  I came across Olivia Laing talking about Christopher Lloyd on Great Live on BBC radio 4.  Here is the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g35g



15 comments:

  1. Morning Sis! That little allium is a beauty, whatever its name might be. I laughed to see all your aeoniums and pelargoniums in your dining room! It is a stinker, hopefully it will start to thaw now. Stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my wrist warmers on, and woolly socks too and therefore doing what my Sis recommends! All those plants are gagging for proper daylight and a bit of water so will soon be back in the conservatory.

      Delete
  2. Good to have added a little bit of colour with this allium because it's not easy these days to find some. You did well to have brought home your succulents : a few more hours they will be able to breathe outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to show the seed but they are really like any other allium seed, and sneaked in a bit of colour from a few weeks ago, a bit of a cheat really, pleased to hear that you appreciate that Fred.

      Delete
  3. So your garden thermometer is silver cyclamen, mine is Euphorbia mellifera. I always know the temperature within a degree or two by how much it is hanging. I've not noticed the loss of silver on cyclamens, probably because I've not been looking. I'm pleased to see you have Lysander in the ground, I raised a lot of very good seedlings from seed you sent me and have been feeling slightly guilty about planting them out to take their chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the pans of the young ones on the shelf in the shed, but that was really to protect them from the squirrels and the blackbirds. That is interesting about your Euphorbia being your visual thermometer.

      Delete
  4. Like your alliums no matter what they are called! Your dining room looks like my conservatory, I have a small heater there which keeps it to +5C so the plants are allright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are able to identify the alliums in time. No. 4 made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and thankfully No 4 is no more, with space to move at that end of the room. I shall be meeting with the supplier again when he comes with snowdrops to the Shepton snowdrop festival in February.

      Delete
  6. Have you managed to escape the snow Noelle? Here we're just beginning to see some colour creep back slowly into the garden and are likely to see plus temperatures tomorrow. It has been the longest cold snap for years! I'm sure that I read a feature recently either in a magazine, paper or online in which Bunny Guiness mentioned that she grows those roses and she recommended them for cutting 😂 I think that I made a note of them at the time. I listened to that lovely radio programme live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely none here, but someone said there was some just a few miles away. I just hope some of the bugs have been controlled by the ice. Wasn't that a great listen, in November Fergus Garrett was at our HPS meeting, and it made for a very interesting talk, and he was very happy to have some of the Ophiopogon Little Tabby which I had taken along.

      Delete
  7. I love the photo of the frozen primula. How robust they are for such a little plant. I hope your roses manage to put on a show this year, as I'm dying to see what they are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been wanting a rose with stiffer stems compared to the David Austen roses, and had been thinking along the lines of HT roses, and I believe it was a recommendation from a fellow blogger that pointed me to the direction of the Timeless collection,

      Delete
  8. Yes, our conservatory is prettycold too. Looking forward to seeing the miniature alliums in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are autumn flowering alliums October into November, but if the seed is viable and germinates I shall be happy to show the fine grass like foliage. Like most alliums I am not expecting flowers for three or even four years.

      Delete