Saturday 10 December 2022

Six on Saturday - Well and truly Frosted

It is cold and the garden seems to be at a standstill, but with a sharp eye, you can see the tips of snowdrops piecing the surface frozen crust, oh joy, not long before they start to emerge.  With no greenhouse, our conservatory is gradually becoming a refuge for plants.  The succulents have migrated to windowsills in the house, to make room for plants being moved from 'The Shed Shelf' etc.  No doubt gardeners in the northern latitudes at least will be considering the best ways to protect their plants, and I am sure Jim and others will be describing some in their posts this week.

1.  This Saturday the garden is well and truly frosted over.  The rime has a certain beauty best observed early in the morning before the thaw sets in.  Here on the hydrangea it lingers without the warming rays of the sun.


2. The soil has not experienced such a freezing now for a couple of years, with the surface soil lifted it builds up a friable top layer.  The plants of course are affected but I find lifting of the soil interesting to look at.


3. The bird bath is frozen solid and needs warm water to give the garden birds something to drink.


This cheeky squirrel will probably come over for a drink once it has had fresh water added.


4. At last the Acer is finally  acquiring its autumn colour quickly, no doubt in readiness to shed its leaves within the next few days.  


5. Ready frozen herbs...

Origanum vulgare compactum

6. The second snowdrop which came home with me last week, and bought in the absences of Three Ships was Remember Remember. 

Galanthus elwesii 'Remember Remember'

(Note added 28 December: Galanthus Remember Remember has been planted close to Apple D'Arcy Spice).

That's it folks!



19 comments:

  1. It seems a long time since it was cold for such an extended period. Just had a heavy sleet/rain shower which won't help the slippy roads. We will just have to batten down the hatches. Lovely acer, hope it holds on for a bit longer. Your new snowdrops is a beauty. Take care Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, at least the weather will prepare us nicely to look forward to the Spring!

      Delete
  2. It certainly is a cold snap and it feels worse after the warmer weeks prior to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does, but I have enjoyed the extended Autumn!

      Delete
  3. A snowy day here for us Noelle so I haven't ventured out but I've already noticed signs of snowdrop snouts peeking through in the garden 😂 The majority of those in pots are snuggled under fleece in the greenhouse. I like your newcomer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, one day you will have to let me know about some of your favourites, when you have time to email.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photo of the hydrangea and well done for capturing that cheeky squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was from the kitchen through the double glazing, with my phone, I kept in the warm!

      Delete
  5. That Hydrangea looks very pretty with it's frosted edges. I've spent this afternoon chasing off two squirrels who are polishing off all the bird food - a pointless exercise that I know I won't win long term. Thankfully, they haven't found the bulbs yet... Hmm, have I just tempted fate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stopped putting out bird feeders. Most of our neighbours have plenty out. I concentrate on water and the smaller birds are always going through the shrubs looking for insects and spiders. I used to grease the pole with vaseline and enjoyed watching the squirrels slide down, they soon learnt it wasn't possible to climb.

      Delete
  6. It’s possibly a nuisance, but I think the squirrel is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good talking to myself, and of course love their antics. So unless I see them digging up special bulbs, when I would try to distract them, I choose to enjoy them, after all I am not garden facing all the time!

      Delete
  7. Very Nice pictures Noelle ! The colours of that hydrangea are very pretty while mine are rather dried and brown. Frost here too but not as strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred, I am sure all your exotics are tucked up in your loft area with the grow lights on. You take such care growing challenging and interesting plants, your passion shines through.

      Delete
  8. Pretty frost pictures. Did you try the oregano?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not yet, but I suspect it may be blackened when it thaws. The flavour during the summer is possibly the best and is great sprinkled fresh over Mediterranean dishes.

      Delete
  9. I thought my hydrangea had done well, but yours is still a fresh pink. Nice frosty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. I'm not sure how to follow you, I can't find the "link".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go right to the last part of the right hand side of the post, you will see a section marked 'Followers' and use the button at the bottom there, I hope it works for me, if not let me know.

      Delete