Saturday 31 December 2022

Six on Saturday - The last on the last day of the year.


1.  With a small garden, most areas need to have something of interest, and these shrubs can light up with a little low sun. Soon spring bulbs will be on. The old raggedy wall behind, though not beautiful, is still a wall along which the squirrels with their tails held high defiantly proclaim the garden theirs.  Are there any sonic devices out there that really work, in which case please let me know. 

 Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'.

2. I had to cover up my pots on the potting table,as  squirrels had attacked a pot of crocus, they did of course try the best ones first! A length of plastic mesh lurking in the bottom of my pot bin came to the rescue of the remaining pots.  A few shoots are starting to show, and to think we shall be able to see some colour in just a matter of a few weeks.


3. A couple of the most advanced pots have been dusted off and been moved to the new shelves.


4. My seed allocation from the Cyclamen Society arrived yesterday, I hope to have a few new graecums, some different hederifoliums,but will be growing intaminatum, mirabile and pseudibericum for the first time. 



I like to look back at notes and find live links on this blog helpful, as it saves me looking through my messy handwritten note books.  Next job on the list is to prepare labels, and search out pots for sowing the seed.

5. Yesterday it was dry enough, ie not pouring with rain, and still 10 C when the light was failing when I came back in from the garden after two hours of pottering.  What a great feeling it is to be outside.  You can't take a picture to describe that feeling! All the storm bedraggled stems and foliage were cut to the ground on the Clematis Bill McKenzie, almost a month earlier compared to last time. Snowdrop noses were observed, as well as other spring beauties, but they have been warned, the worse is still ahead.

6.  Sometimes I am apt to cut back some shrubs in a rather harsh way, Mr S knows that mostly happens with shrubs that are really being considered for 'despatch'.  Maybe it is in the wrong place both visually and also for itself since I am usually totally disappointed with its flowers, but in the midwinter light, it does at least show willing to bounce back and beg a stay of execution.  The jury is still out!


Mahonia Sweet Caress 

There will be reviews no doubt of the past year, and other interesting and witty posts from other SOSers linking into Jim's, I hope you will have time to appreciate your own garden or at least one or two plants, Happy New Year to you all.

© Noelle Mace and her blog. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Noelle Mace and her blog,  with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

20 comments:

  1. I simplified things by adding a Six "Best Moments of 2022" to my timeline but you had the courage to present us things of the moment. I really like this mahonia 'Douce Caresse' and I also wish you the best for 2023. Happy New Year Noelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fred, all the best to you too, I shall enjoy your posts this year 2023!

      Delete
  2. I nearly replied to say I was still waiting for my seeds to arrive from the Cyclamen Society but thought to check the post first. There they were! Nothing rivals the pleasure of growing real treasures from seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you post about which you have and their progress. My seeds are now soaking!

      Delete
  3. Something has been nibbling the shoots on my bulbs, I thought it was pigeons, but we have squirrels in the garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught them in the act! Pesky blighters.....

      Delete
  4. Squirrels are such a nuisance when it comes to bulbs although fortunately they don't seem to have a taste for snowdrops 😂 Glad that you managed to rescue some of them. Wishing you a most Happy New Year Noelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Happy New Year to you too. I have neighbouring cats that scratch and disturb the area round the bulbs, I try to shoo them away but I can't be overlooking the garden all the time!

      Delete
  5. Please let me know if you find a sonic squirrel repeller! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too try to look for my thoughts in my blogs since I lose my notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I am not the only one Sanchita! It is amazing how time flies, but there may be that smallest of ideas from ten or more years ago which is easy to find with just one word in the search box.

      Delete
  7. I think it's the foliage that wins out for me with my Mahonia 'Sweet Caress' as the flowers, while pretty, are just 'okay' (although very popular with insects). Reading about your squirrels I'm considering myself lucky they haven't gone for the potted up bulbs yet - hmm, maybe I should take preemptive action. All the very best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you too, and may your covered bulbs soon emerge and offer us all plenty to admire in the next few months.

      Delete
  8. I think your ‘old raggedy wall’ is just wonderful and far far better than the metal fences we have in my area. I’m interested in your cyclamens…..do you plant them in pots or in the garden to naturalise. If the latter, they must look stunning when all in flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start the special seedlings in pots, and then after two years, plant them individually up, and then when they get too big put them in the garden. I haven't yet placed any in shows, and those are obviously just grown in pots. If you type cyclamen in the search box at the top right hand of any post, it will come up with all my posts relating to cyclamen and you will see those in the garden. If you would like a selection of small corms mainly c. hederifolium silver leaved, reply to this with your email which I won't post, and I'll contact you to arrange to post. I can only do this for UK based people.

      Delete
  9. I was smiling out loud when I read "What a great feeling it is to be outside. You can't take a picture to describe that feeling!" Sometimes I feel such joy just being in the garden (mine, someone else's it doesn't matter) that I wish I could bottle it and use it as proof. As Jim says, there is little as wonderful as receiving seed in the post, I am looking forward to admiring your seedlings. Have a wonderful 2023, Sis, maybe we will get to meet! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will let me know if you would like some silver leaved c, hederifolium for your garden, email me! A very Happy New Year in 'Heavens Land'.

      Delete
  10. I agree with Gill, the comment about the great feeling of being outside resonated with me too. I'm anticipating all the bulbs too having seen them starting to emerge. PS I think the wall looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete