Monday 12 June 2023

In a Vase on Monday 12 June 2023

 In a week where it has felt we were in a Mediterranean Climate with hot days, very warm nights and still no rain here, it feels right that my first vase come from my dry front garden where because of the conditions, it is very much Mediterranean type plants that thrive.




It all started when I knocked over an allium head when I was trimming the golden lonicera balls.  Then I went on to snip a few other bits: yellow flowered Phlomis fruticosa 'Bourgaei'. Centaurea Montana Alba, Centaurea 'Silver Feather', stems of Linaria Canon Went, and finally at the top pink flowered Phlomis pupurea Matagallo. When I went to visit Beth Smith and her beautiful garden leading down to the sea: Foamlea, with the Phlomis fruticosa 'Bourgaei' plants, she wondered whether I might be interested in growing a larger collection of Phlomis, of which she had been National Collection Holder.  Well with this weather it may be that I do consider a few more Phlomis for the garden.




However the last of  the first flush on the Rose Grace has yielded a little bunch.  I decided to give the plant a good cut back as 80% of the flowers were over, and this way the second flush will be on a well shaped bush. The Vase is one my father brought back from Japan many years ago, and was my mother's favourite, and with her birthday just gone bringing it out was in remembrance of her. 





For our WI Book Club we have been reading A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne.  There was a bit of a 'frisson' around the fact that some of the characters were male homosexuals, however our meeting in June has been postponed, but I can say that I found it lived up to the description on the cover.  I would recommend it. Mr S thought it was a little long winded and felt the denouement lacking somewhat.

A second book. that I am about a quarter of a way through. is The Garden in the Clouds by Anthony Woodward, I have got to the part where they are manoeuvring the old almost derelict railway Guard's Van up a steep Welsh Hill.  This was one of the books recommended during our In a Vase on Monday Zoom get togethers earlier this year.  It is beautifully written, and I too would endorse it.





As usual these vases of flowers are posted on a Monday to join in with Cathy was the 'designer' and leader in chief of this weekly meme.  Over there if you wish to following her guidelines you may link your post, or just view other vases from people who love to garden, or even if you have 'gardeners' and like to pick your own flowers. 

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful roses. I am not familiar with Phlomis, I like what I see and would buy more! Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm sorry to hear that you've not had any rain yet Noelle but perhaps soon 🤞 Is seems to be quite hit and miss as to whether you get any or not.The phlomis is most appealing - both flower and foliage. Thanks as always for the book mentions. I've read 'The Garden In The Clouds' but it was some time ago. Will look out for the John Boyne title. Himself and I rarely read the same books but it's always interesting to compare our thoughts when we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loads of rumbly thunder during the day, but the clouds passed by with shredding a drop, and it is now blue skies from one horizon to another,

      Delete
  3. I love your vase today, Noelle, with its pinks and purples, especially after my comments on your last vase. I don't know Centaurea 'Silver Feather', but will look out for it. Is it one that will reflower after cutting back? I find some of the centuarea brilliant for that - such good do-ers. Your Grace vase, is lovely too - I noticed when I deadheaded roses today how teeny and multitudinous her petals are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, yes lots of beautiful apricot petals, but the roses are not enjoying this heat, Yes the Centaurea get to be pretty big with lots of side shoots on its woody stem. I have cut almost right back, it is quite different to the herbaceous soft leaved Centaurea, and the leaves are just really an excellent feature on their own.

      Delete
  4. Hi Noelle, your bouquet is very beautiful, I spot some plants which I grow too. Fingers crossed for some rain. I'm delighted that you've enjoyed the 'Garden in the clouds' ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  5. A striking collection of flowers Noelle. Hope you received rain soon but meanwhile your Mediterranean flowers are lovely. The roses are such a wonderful color and nicely presented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our climates do seem to be shifting! Coastal Southern California where I live has long been known as a Mediterranean climate but now the question is: are we sliding into desert territory? Given your success with Phlomis fruticosa, I think you should definitely try more. In addition to P. fruticosa, I have a P. purpurea, although despite 2+ years in the ground, it has yet to bloom. I love the beauty and simplicity of your rose arrangement just as much as your Mediterranean one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore the color of the roses. And the best vases I think are those we make due to clippings or accidents. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty Noelle! I love that white Centaurea and the silvery foliage. I don't think I have ever grown Phlomis and must look into which ones are hardy enough for our cold winters.

    ReplyDelete