Friday 30 June 2023

Mad about Pineapples

One of my go to places for fruit and vegetables in this area is the bi-weekly Wells Fruit and Vegetables open up at Rocky Mountain Plant Nursery.

I haven't been for a few weeks, and this week as well as some excellent items in modest quantities, I picked up a whole box of large Pineapples.  Eight large ones for £2 the whole box.  The were ripe and needed to be processed the same day.  As I was nearly out of my favourite Pineapple Chutney, I knew that two would be used for that.  

Pineapples 


I have also frozen pineapple pieces, and will again be making roasted Pineapple with vanilla, ginger and rhum.  Over on Mad about Macaron  there is a recipe for this, and I am also using up a spare white of egg in the fridge to make some of her coconut macaroons to accompany the roasted Pineapple for Sunday Lunch.

Salads too with chilli, onion, green leaves etc works a wonder for lunch, and just a slice is really refreshing as a post dinner fruit.

Two further pineapples were peeled, and then given over to neighbours, with one person later saying that although out of the two of them, they didn't like pineapple much, they are now a convert.  Being asked about the country of origin and make, I went over how to choose a pineapple, having enjoyed pineapple since I was very little, you may well ask am I mad about pineapples?  

The skill in choosing just the right 🍍 taught to when I was little by my dad. Mum sent me up to the market on my own from about aged 10 to buy them. Always unpeeled, but I watched the men in the market peel them. If our cook was too busy, I would end up peeling them. Don't buy green pineapples, they are picked too immature, will never get sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment