Saturday 24 June 2023

Six on Saturday Mid Year


 It still continues hot and dry, and we may have just had a good shower once whilst we were away this past week.  Next week the forecast shows no rain either, so out comes the fleece to cover young vulnerable plants whilst the sun is over them.

1. On our way back from a long walk on holiday by the sea, we happened to pass interesting gardens, and one had a 'sales' table in the front garden. Inspired by some beautiful Lampranthus whilst we were on Tresco, I picked up three plants each at £1.50. 

 
Combined with some beach combing finds, I emptied the long terracotta pot and have planted all three together together to check on their form and flowering potential. Overwintered later in this, it will also be handy to move into the shed if it get really cold in the winter.  I do have Lampranthus which has survived several winters in the front Mediterranean garden, but those have  much greener fleshier stems and leaves. The one that did not survive had been driven over by some delivery van so I do need to go out there and make a few more plants. For the summer they will add a colourful element along the road side.


2. Another plant bought at a table top sale is this pretty Dierama nodding in the breeze, with its very pale pink almost white  flowers held its long arching stems.  It is has a little pink marking inside.  It didn't flower last year.  In a week or so it will be floating above a sea of Oreganums in flower.


3. A couple of years back I planted an Achillea again no name, bought at a local charity plant sale.  It has silver leaves.  I have no idea of its name, nice one though. It is quite bleached here, but doing well considering it has not been watered.


4. Another orange: Rose Shine On, again not bad colour considering the bleaching effect of the sun.

Orange Rose Shine On.

5. Close by in the same hue is Alstromeria Indian Summer, growing in a large pot. 

6. I do like a curiosity or two and strangely this year the Linaria Canon Went has provided a certain fascination. all self seeded.  I leave the odd plant to give a little height, and since these can be dotted around, look rather pleasing.  I left this very fasciated flower spike as a curiosity. The causes can be various.




On another plant the fasciation is at the very apex of all the flower spike rather than all along the stem.

Again my garden was looked after by a kind neighbour over the last few days, but we are seriously considering a watering system for the pots and may a leaking hose for the veggies.  I wonder what other Sixers may have posted about their garden this week.  I have a treat as I have two weeks to catch up with.  All through the magic portal which Jim opens over on his 'Garden Ruminations Blog'.




 

11 comments:

  1. Sarah Rajkotwala24 June 2023 at 11:29

    Lovely Rise and Shine rose and very pretty Fairy Fishing rods! 🌸⚘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that the Linaria produces normal flowers on its fasciated stem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point there. I finally grubbed up the plant this evening as I wanted to put in something else there.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty fasciated flower of linaria: I have one like that on a veronica spicata that comes back every year.
    Have you ever tried dierama seedlings before? Failure for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No this was a division. I tried Dierma years ago but had not realised exactly their favourtie conditions. This one has charmed me, and I hope it increases next year.

      Delete
  4. You have done well with the table top sales. I've Achillea 'Terracotta' which looks very similar to the one you've included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had an incling that it might be that. There are so many lovely ones around.

      Delete
  5. I love the pot with the Lampranthus and seashells. Very pretty indeed. I think 'Shine On' was on my list when I was looking for an orange rose but I never found one in flower to sniff. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish is my command in this instance, and no it has no scent that I can discern. It is still a good one, but I understand that you may have a rule as to no scent, no plant!

      Delete
  6. Lovely six, I really like the Lampratnus, a bargain at £1.50, they look very nice indeed in their pot. The dierama is beautiful, what conditions does it like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this article from Gardener's World covers its requirements. I think mine might have to have a little more space, so on my list is curtailing some of the surrounding growth, giving it a good water, which it hasn't had and a little feed. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-dierama-angels-fishing-rod/

    ReplyDelete