Monday 5 June 2023

In a Vase on Monday

Icebergs would melt if they came into the garden, and they would shed a whole lot of water too....

A simple arrangement of white Iceberg Roses, and Phlomis fruticosa 'Bourgaei'.  There was a delightful scent from the Phlomis but one which affected my eyes. I was moving the vase from the living room to the utility when I could hear my neighbour in hers.  The posy was soon passed over and hopefully the roses will last a couple of days and the Phlomis should last longer.


I could not get the rose heads to stay where I wanted them as the oblong  vase top was a little wide, so I twirled some raffia around the stems, and used my 'souvenir stones' from Tresco to anchor them. Here is a link to the first of my posts about Tresco Gardens. There are earlier posts about other parts of the Island too.

I am feeling a lot better, and wonder now what sort of affliction could have reached out and grabbed me, sometimes feel tired, but I am getting there.

I'm joining in with Cathy and others with this offering for In a Vase on Monday from their gardens.  I heard that Cathy had been poorly, but as well as being busy with the garden is baking in readiness for her open day.  Cathy has unusually not posted yet, so I shall make this post live and check later in the day when I return from a visit to Bristol Botanical Gardens, and make the link live then.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely to see that we have another plant in common: Phlomis fruticosa. I think mine are done for the season, though. I'm sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. There seems to be a lot of that going around. I tested negative for Covid twice so I've no idea what caught me in its grip 2 weeks ago either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A most soothing to the eye vase Noelle and what a dinky watering can in front of it. I like 'Iceberg' roses - my father grew them at home and we had one in our last garden. Interesting to hear that phlomis is scented although sorry to hear that the aroma didn't agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, it is because my mother used to grow Iceberg, and it reminds me of her, that I grow it in the garden, and the little cystal can was given to her. I tend to put it by arrangements to indicate that I am having to water the garden as it had been too dry.

      Delete
  3. Lovely....glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, though I realise that I have to pace myself. After I had a day out at the Botanic gardens I had to go to bed to rest.

      Delete
  4. The image of an iceberg in the garden is lovely Noelle, and something we would welcome too! It is so very dry here, and summer has only just begun. Oh well, we will take what comes. Your iceberg rose and Phlomis flowers are lovely. I had no idea they are scented. But that is always the problem with scented flowers isn't it… they can be overpowering once brought indoors. Glad you could 'dispose' of them fruitfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, that comment was me Noelle… forgot to fill in my name again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, actually I loved the scent of the Phlomis, when was quite gentle but there must be something in it, which I was reacting to, and my eyes got some and itchy.

      Delete
  6. Soory to read that you had been under the weather, Noelle - did you test for Covid? Hopefully you are yourself again now. I had no idea that phlomis would have a scent, but what a shame it irritates your eyes. I still can't bring myself to have a yellow phlomis, but I do now have a pink Phlomis tuberosa, whch is now coming into bloom. Yours works really with the roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't have the tests, but seeing that I really do feel so much better, what a strange bug to affect my mind too! The second batch of Phlomis only one stem, which I used on the 12th June vase is having no effect even with all the other blooms.

      Delete