Monday 26 June 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Fading gracefully

 I love the way that words can mean slightly different things. Bearing in mind the effect of the strong sun, one can say that colours fade as the sun bleaches the colours, or in such situations a plant can react or be damaged by excessive light, as I found when I collected some seaweed just beyond the low tide and still in the water in Tresco. Sadly this is not a 'graceful' fading.



During the past summers I have found that the colour of the Rose Open Arms does differ depending on how much sunshine it receives.  On our return from another week by the coast this time overlooking The Isle of Wight, most of the roses were finished, so I decided to have a good trim back of Rose Open Arms but pushed some saved stems into a deep bucket of water in the utility area.  After our drive home on Thursday, and a couple of hours in the garden, it was only Friday when I plonked the stems in a vase for the kitchen. I do like the way real fresh flowers mature, wane and finally need discarding or can even be saved as dried flowers, so for this week, although I only have one type of flower in a vase, I would like to show how beautiful they are over several days.

Of course there is no sun bleaching if flowers are gathered in their early stage, at tight bud or just beyond. Using the meaning of fade to mean 'waning', or to go over, I pictured the arrangement each day and also the last one being this afternoon's view of Open Arms.


Having recovered, and feeling less frazzled on the Friday, yes we returned a day early, I removed the bucket flowers and was amazed that the tight buds had already opened, but it isn't surprising as the temperatures here were about 28C.


Still continuing with warm nights, the ones where one has a 0 tog duvet, which means we sleep under the duvet cover without any duvet in it. Here on day three, yesterday Sunday, the buds have open a little further but the colour has not been faded by this I mean bleached out by the strong sunlight.


And finally today,  a few petals are on the point of falling.  Though as it is clouded there is little effect of over bright light causing a bleaching effect on the eye of the lense. The colour does fade from the petals as the flowers wane, and tomorrow, this collection will go the same way as all the clippings made on Thursday.



With a little feed, and some watering in the absence of rain, the plant will bounce back, and reflower maybe two or three times further, and for all these reasons if a delightful plant to have in the garden.


And finally our June Challenge for our online WI zoom photography group is 'Fill the Screen', and this cropped picture of Rosa Open Arms just fits the bill:


I just pray it rains at some time during the coming week. I hope it does......

P,S. The other picture I shall be submitting is this picture of some ginger biscuits I made this morning, for our WI Knit and Natter that met here earlier on, which is why I am little later than usual posting.


















15 comments:

  1. Oh that is an interesting exercise, Noelle, and a reminder to think about cutting blooms in bud and not fully-open, something I know I forget to do. I was expecting shells and seaweed as your prop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't work out how they would work with the arrangement, I suppose I posted the seaweed at the start to illustrate that the sun has been so potent that even seaweed that ought not to be bleached has been. Of course not all flowers in bud successfully open, but roses usually do.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely rose, it looks beautiful from tight bud to full bloom. And as a repeat bloomer, what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Eliza, and also easy to grow from cuttings, this one is a cutting I took from our plant in our previous garden.

      Delete
  3. Rose Open Arms is a beauty in all stages and you chose the perfect vase to show them off. The cookies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful biscuits and flowers, it is nice to see the progression. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, often flowers have a different beauty at different stages, something I find observing quite calming.

      Delete
  5. Your roses were beautiful at every stage, holding up better than any of those I've cut from my own garden. The cookies look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, this surprised me given how warm it has been. Oh yes the cookies as you call them are quite delicious, and the recipe very easy too.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, that is a beautiful illustration of how great they look at various stages. The cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling a little tired today, and will simply put a link to the recipe on my blog in a little while.

      Delete
  7. How pretty, and so nice that it will bloom again for you. Your WI activities sound fun. I hope it has cooled down for you a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to have a very vibrant WI with some great ladies. Yes today it really pleasant as it is partly clouded, still not rain though.

      Delete
  8. That is a stunning rose and really gives a gentle soft feel as it fades. I too love to watch the flowers fade and change over time in the vase. Those ginger biscuits look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, as I replied to Beth I think I ought to put a link to the recipe in my next post.

      Delete