Saturday 17 June 2023

Six on Saturday - Roses roses and other plants

 Absolutely no rain, we are as dry as it can get, and this is 'Soggy Somerset' and mid June.   

The roses deserved a few bucket full of water over the weeks especially the newly planted ones.  I bought The Home Florist Timeless collection and they are starting to really show their colours beautifully.

1. The first of this collection to be picked is Rose Home Florist Timeless Pink. Even though not picked in bud, this bloom has lasted nearly a week, and still no sign of  shedding of petals.


Rose Home Florist Timeless Pink

The foliage is dark green and shiny and best of all disease free.  The plant is strong and stems upright, with good strong flower stems. The scent is a gentle one, similar to the scent of a Rose Scented Talcum powder, with no lemony tang. I took the rose in the vase to the garden to compare the colours, and they are the same, but indoors out of the sunlight the pink is more nuanced even to my eye, rather than just the effect of the camera.

Rose Home Florist Timeless Pink

2. Rose Home Florist Timeless Cream has not yet been cut, and I suppose to have those lovely single stemmed roses, I ought to have disbudded it.  Again the flowers last a long time on the plant, with the plant equally as strong and healthy looking as Timeless Pink.

 Rose Home Florist Timeless Cream

3. With the Cream roses in the middle it is still clear that Rose Home Florist Timeless 'Charisma' is darker that Timeless Pink, but in very much the same colour range, which  mean they would go very well together in an arrangement.

 Rose Home Florist Timeless 'Charisma'
The tacky covering on the leaves here is not due to greenfly but deposits of parts of the catkins from the large Holm Oaks that grow nearby.  

The Purple variation was planted a little way away out of the fierce burning sun and is yet to come into flower.  

4. Another new rose growing against the party fence is Rosa Malvern Hills.  At present there are just a few small stems with roses on the apex, but I guess this rose will take a year or two to bulk up.


5. Of rose colour but not a rose is this Rhodohypoxis 'Pintado'.  After a dry sejour in the shed over the winter, it is now back in bloom, still in its pot. but looking like it is ready to be potted on.  I planted another one straight into the gravel garden, and will assess to see whether it survives the winter here.

Rhodohypoxis Pintado

6.  Again in the gravel garden, which has had many sessions of dead oak tree and male catkins removal, is another rose colour plant.  I grew this one from seed gathered with my own fair hand, and is in its first flowering season, it does seem to be at home, and riding out the hot dry weather. 

Dianthus carthusianorum

It's Jim from Garden Ruminations who is responsible for chivvying us all along and keeping up our spirits and I think you know where he is if the in post doesn't work.





 




14 comments:

  1. A great selection of roses. I've been muttering at a David Austin one - Princess Alexandra of Kent which is just too bendy somehow and doesn't seem to be able to support the weight of the flowers. I'm thinking she'd have made a better short climber than a half standard. I love that lizard basking in the gravel garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed the Lizard, yes he is a favourite of mine, and tours around the garden. I've had him over twenty years, bought from a blacksmith who was demonstrating his skills.

      Delete
  2. The Rhodohypoxis must be overwintered dry? indoors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes most were in the shed, but one I planted in the gravel garden is up and flowering. I shall see if it survives and flourishes, the rest I shall treat as I did last year, just in the shed.

      Delete
  3. Lovely roses and you comment about Soggy Somerset made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had a soggy Somerset since we moved, in the winter there is a bit of mizzle but not as much as I was led to understand.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely selection of roses, excellent that the flowers last so long. I seem to be deadheading nearly every day, the heat is making my roses go over so quickly. We are in need of rain but it keeps missing us! Maybe tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have had some rain by now, we have been away, and my neighbour has done a fab job of looking after the pots.

      Delete
  5. I can only seem to post an anonymous comment, it’s Arwen from Notes from the Under Gardener here! Those roses are magnificent - I’ve never heard of the ‘Home Florist’ range, I must check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first heard of them via Karen who can be found on his blog Bramble Garden, who is very keen on roses and has shown some very good ones.

      Delete
  6. Your picture of Dianthus carthusianorum reminded me to look up a Dianthus which has appeared here this year in the shape of two plants, about 2ft tall and with very small Dianthus flowers. I think it's D. armeria, the Deptford Pink. Not especially ornamental but interesting and I have not the slightest idea where it came from. It'd be pretty much the same intense colour as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence, I too had that growing at the edge of the gravel again grown from seed. However with the garden quite compact, they had to be removed as they were shading out other plants.

      Delete
  7. Oh sorry to hear that you still haven't had a drop of rain yet Noelle. Maybe today 🤔 Your 'Timeless' roses look most happy and healthy indeed. Is there an orange shade in the collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was asking myself the same question Anna, but there are none as yet. Karen showed the Rose for 2024 Meteor which looks most promising, and since it was she who suggested the Florist roses, I will look out for that one too.

      Delete