Monday 20 November 2023

In a Vase on Monday - a small offering

 Yesterday we had a few hours of 'non-rain' and what better thing to do that do into the garden to assess what jobs needed to be done.  The roses did look straggly and although still November decided to give some of them a prune.  Rosa Grace looked the worse for wear and got trimmed and a few roses still in tight bud got salvaged.  As the leaves were really awful they all got removed and this morning a few snippets of Persicaria Red Dragon in flower were cut to balance out the arrangement.  



The seed heads and piece of rolled up papery thin bark from my friends rather lovely birch trees get moved around the living room.  Just as people have ornaments I have little piles of interesting seed heads or bark, which I arrange in a still life.  Many of them can be several years old, and when they get too dusty or I acquire more, they get chucked onto the garden.

In a Vase on Monday is a weekly affair created by Cathy, and several of us join in most weeks, to share flowers from our gardens. 

10 comments:

  1. Your arrangement and the entire vignette is an attention-grabber, Noelle. It manages to be simple yet dynamic at the same time. I love that vase too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, the little vase was a Charity Shop purchase a couple of years back.

      Delete
  2. I love you have those little snippets which you move around the house as required - I know I wouldn't be without my wooden (silver birch) bowl of conkers, and I have a few vases with dried blooms or grasses too 👍 You have used those ligering buds of Grace to good effect and good old Red Dragon comes up trumps again - I split mine this year, which was sorely needed! By the way, I don't seem to get notifications of your posts these days - I might need resubscribe, I suppose. Oh, and I had a go at 'dropping' myself over the weekend, when I caught my foot in a fhdden plant support - I din't bounce, but I didn't breal either, and only have the teeniest of bruises, so yes, tough as old boots!!🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cathy, sorry about your gardening accident, bruises are quite unpleasant. I removed the bit mother Red Dragon, and from that gave five friends divisions, and set lots of smaller pieces ready to pot on and sell the HPS sale next spring. You may have given me one small plants all those years ago, and that had led to many, many divisions and pass-alongs.

      Delete
  3. It's a lovely composition, Noelle. The all white background makes the vase and materials even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mantle shelf is white but the wall is a sort of pale stone, and yes it makes a good place especially in the winter with the light from the window.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful vase and lovely offerings from nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely little arrangement. I love the flowers of Red Dragon. And pretty seedheads and bark too Noelle. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. A most pretty arrangement Noelle. You performed some excellent cosmetic surgery on those roses and the persicaria flowers look so dainty. I like the vase which seems to tie in everything together. Is it one that you've showed us before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I think I have had the vase for over two years, it usually sits on the window sill in the kitchen with 'rescues', maybe I have shown it once before, being quite small and with flowers dwindling, it is likely to make a come back sooner rather than later.

      Delete