Saturday 11 November 2023

Six on Saturday - November 11 2023

It is a quick SOS today, as I am off to plant bulbs and clear undergrowth from a nearby Somerset Wildlife mini reserve.  Today is going to be the first dry day for what seems like ages.  I am joining in with Jim again to share six things from my garden this week.


1.  Let us start with the best autumn colour in the garden this week:

Acer Wakaranai (Japanese for 'unknown')

I think this is the best year for colour on this acer.  I had thought that the colour and falling of leaves was late this year, but comparing dates on this blog in December 2021, there still was no leaf fall or colour! 

Acer  corner acer is still unphased by the lowest temperature so far at 3.8 C.  

2. The two Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire' are lighting up the garden even when it is a little misty as it is this morning. The promise of flame effect stems to come can also be seen.

Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'

3. Either side of the blue bench the Japanese grass Hakonechloa Macra Aureola is still looking beautiful and doesn't seem to have suffered with all the rain. In the wild this is a Japanese forest grass




4. Chamaecyparis pisifera Filifera Aurea and it’s common name is Sawara Cypress is till growing in its pot.  It is said to be very slow growing and small, but I may just launch it into the garden this autumn. I do hope this is the nana version as I saw a similar cultivar at Bicton, and it was huge!   Use the link to see my post about Bicton and that tree.


5.  I 'titivated' the auriculas earlier in the week.  It was very wet during the week, and I broke down this job in stages, or otherwise I wouldn't have get round to doing it.  It is a little late in the season to do this, so I didn't replace all the soil, as they were newly potted up earlier in the year.  The new ones were ready to do into larger pots.  Phase one, remove all the old leaves, Phase two mix the compost, phase three move the pots to the potting area, phase four choose new pots, phase five pot on, phase six clean the outside of the pots, phase seven find saucers, phase eight move the pots and saucers to a sunny position.  Job done!  I had procrastinated long enough, but doing it this way, I managed to get this off my list even though it appeared to have not stopped raining for three days.


Downloading the pictures, I noticed all the water in the saucers.  Even though I had put a good layer of grit purposefully so that the compost is above the layer of the water, I just went down to empty the pots!

6. Still a rose so late in the season does catch my eye.





18 comments:

  1. Lots of colour to admire here, Sis! Well done for sorting the auriculas, I don't know why we torture ourselves with dithering and when the job is done we think "now that wasn't so bad after all". Have a good day in the garden. I'm just in from a little potter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to hear you enjoyed your little potter. I have to give myself a good talking to sometimes!!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There isn't that much really, but the camera can focus on the best each week at this time of the year.

      Delete
  3. Lovely autumnal colour and that late blooming Rose is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it has only just escaped the pruning off, and may just make IAVOM, and then it will be off the bush.

      Delete
  4. I do like the colour of your Acer, just like Osakazuki - beautiful! The Cornus and Hakonechloa are looking good in their autumn finery, I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline, The colour is similar, next week I shall put up a close up of the leaf. If can get good light, then there is little to beat the colours of autumn.

      Delete
  5. Lovely autumnal colours especially the Japanese maple of course but love the Hakonechloa which gives a nice tuft to this spot. I should move mine to see it more but it must stay in the shade though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous is Fred from Paris today….

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fred. By growing them in pots I can move them around and find that except in the very heat of summer, they do tolerate sun for three quarters of the day, and at this time of the year, it would be fine to move them to full sun.

      Delete
  6. That little acer is a beauty Noelle! How tall is it? We have an acer in a large pot outside our caravan but between last weekend and this weekend himself has reported that all the leaves have departed. We had our first dry day too yesterday in an age. It was blissful! Back to rain today and then gale force winds are predicted for tomorrow so all gardening plans have been put on hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has not grown very much since I first bought it over 10 years ago. The whole including the pot is about 50cm high, It is in a sheltered spot and is still holding on to its leaves. It works like that this time of the year, sometimes any gardening is just out of the question.

      Delete
  7. The Nana version of C. 'Filifera Aurea' isn't a stable variety, it is just propagations from less vigorous bits of the ordinary variety and reverts to it in time. 'Sungold' is slightly slower. Prune it when it gets as big as you want it.
    I've a Hakonechloa Allgold in a pot that I must pull out where I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that point Jim, it is interesting to hear about its vegetative propagation from different bits. I already do trim off bits of it for my vases or to give me a better shaped shrub. Sometimes bits go brown and I hand strip it and there it is as pretty as a pouch just out of the groomers.

      Delete
  8. Cornus sanguinea!!! That's the plant that the house at the top of our road has in their front yard! I've been idly wondering about that for the past few winters, intent on getting one as well because of the gorgeous red stems. Thank you for that :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, flattery is everything, or politely put, should you mention your admiration to the home owners, I am sure they will spare you a few cuttings, it is easy to make good new plants within a couple of seasons.

      Delete