Monday 13 November 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Tenth Anniversary

 A Happy Tenth Anniversary to Cathy's great post each Monday: In a Vase on Monday. For me this has been an almost weekly activity, and have enjoyed choosing flowers and materials from the garden, marking the seasons and the weather.  We still have not had a frost and just by luck the seeds from the early nasturtiums germinated in late August, and are now in full flower, which is why they are featuring.

We were set a little challenge should we wish to pursue it.  I was going to have no vase with a variety of pretty leaves with autumn colour consisting mainly of the beautiful yellow leaves from my new Ginkgo.  

Then I remembered that my little collection of herbs for using in the kitchen were due to be refreshed this morning.  With the evenings now being dark, it is not go easy to go picking the herbs by torch light when I am wanting them to garnish our evening meal.  Then I thought that one of the two stylish fine but strong glass jugs which sit on the kitchen window sill would do very nicely as a 'not vase'. Although they were bought mainly for water or milk, or some sauce, one of the usually has a bunch of herbs waiting to be used.



In any case you can't see the container from this overhead shot.  The pumpkins are featured again, and will most likely be baked whole and stuffed with cheese and nuts.  Maybe one of the herbs in the arrangement will join in with the stuffing or as a garnish.  I picked nasturtiums which are from late self sown seedlings, lovely abundant parsley, prostrate rosemary which I find with its softer and fragment leaves is now the culinary rosemary of choice, garlic chives and the Horopito New Zealand Pepper Tree: Pseudowintera colorata 'Red Leopard'.  I use that shrub in savoury dishes or in tomato dishes to add a good hot peppery taste.

20 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Noelle. I enjoy your weekly vases and commentary. This no-vase is a charmer. How wonderful to have fresh nasturtiums and parsley is beautiful in any vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, the anniversary wishes really should go to Cathy, aren't we fortunate to be invited each week to participate? Any time now a frost will come along, but until then I am more than happy to have such nice nasturtiums in the autumn colours.

      Delete
  2. Very vibrant and pretty. Had to look up the New Zealand Pepper tree as I'd never heard of it before. Interesting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had it for years, where I used to live was a very good private nursery, and if they had anything unusual coming in, they would give me a call. I was looking at something else and when I saw it, I had to get it!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous centerpiece filled with so much abundance. The backdrop of the tile floor is perfection! Here's to 10 more years of filling vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, that is our table, can you imagine having to wash a floor with so many groves in it?! It is on a slate lazy susan in the middle, but the arrangement will be moved to the Kitchen widowsill.

      Delete
  4. Oh how lovely Noelle, and so autumnal, particularly against the background - is that the tiled table, or the floor? The pumpkins and nasturtium make a great combination and I like how how you have used a herby/edible theme. Thanks for supporting the meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, that is our table in the conservatory and have as many meals as we can there. I love stone and have two stone tables, one of which is currently covered in some of my succulents. I have really enjoyed being part of IAVOM, thanks to you.

      Delete
  5. That last comment was mine, Noelle - I got distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done well not to cook those pumpkins so far Noelle 😂 Enjoy them when you do. That's a most attractive display of leafy loveliness and colourful flowers. My nasturtiums finished flowering some time ago - they are great for keeping themselves going from year to year. I do like the dark green of the leaves on your plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I have grown so many different types of nasturtium, and I think they are all lovely.

      Delete
  7. Yum! Your vase and your arrangement are whetting my appetite. It's a beautiful combination, too. You are fortunate to still have many fresh elements. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, we are in quite a mild corner of England, but it can also be quite wet as we have been experiencing this season.

      Delete
  8. It's wonderful when a plan comes together AND fulfills a need at the same time. The nasturtiums are a very cheerful addition. Seeing your pumpkins I'm wishing I'd followed my heart and brought some home when I went to the market this morning.

    ReplyDelete

  9. A wonderful fall combination and edible to boot! I have a pumpkin in my kitchen I have been meaning to cook to bake pies and cakes. Nuts and cheese sound like a good idea. I am going to try the prostrate rosemary, my big Blue Lagoon just expired and i need a new one. Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, the softer rosemary is a great addition and Mr S no longer comments about 'the rosemary' being like fish bones.

      Delete
  10. A wonderful arrangement with your autumnal colours Noelle. How lovely to still have Nasturtiums flowering! I love your description of the herbs you have used. I had no idea there is a softer rosemary… I usually chop mine really finely or remove sprigs before serving. And the pepper tree sounds fascinating. I am allergic to chilli, so I am always looking for alternative spiciness, and will definitely keep my eyes open for that next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be worth asking friends or looking out for this shrub, and trying some in cookery. I am not sure whether it is permitted to send leaves in the post to you abroad?

      Delete
  11. No frost yet, how fortunate for you! A nice arrangement of edibles, do you eat the nasturtiums? I'm never heard of NZ Pepper tree, but it's not likely to be hardy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the flowers as garnishes and the leaves in mixed salads or as part of a pesto. They are nice and peppery.

      Delete