Monday 27 November 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Sticks

 I wasn't going to post a vase today. Having sat down at 6 p,m, to view and comment on Cathy and friends' vases, I read that Cathy would even admit that given the hard frost we experienced a few days ago even sticks would do!


The vase is a new one not shown up till now.  I bought it from an art gallery where it was being sold as something in which one would put a plant pot and possibly a succulent or cactus.  Before using it I checked it for water proofness.  Although I had paid a reasonable sum for it, I love the design and decided to use it for dried arrangements.  These sticks came from my friend's very large Magnolia growing against her large Georgian house.  She was quite bemused when I asked for a few of the obviously dead twigs and I said they reminded me of deer antlers.  In front is a piece of bark and large seeds I picked up over two years ago.  I love that orange lichen on it.

Do look out for my post tomorrow on the Tree Appreciation theme, here is last week's. Now that winter has come, I am enjoying the trees all the more.  Do feel free to join me each week and post a tree you may have enjoyed. 

6 comments:

  1. Those antler-like sticks are very artistic, Noelle! They look right at home in your new vase/container too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I do like collecting sticks or parts of trees which are dead, their form is usually harder to observe up high. I also find seed pods fascinating.

      Delete
  2. This isn't just twigs in a vase, it is a lovely artistic creation Noelle! All the elements of your little display are a real delight, and you don't even need to add water to the new vase too. I agree, they do look like antlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I am yet to come across any antlers lying around in woods, however these are smaller and easy to arrange.

      Delete
  3. Before you even mentioned antlers that's what I thought of when I saw your first photo! I love twigs too - they can be so shapely, even when not not reminiscent of antlers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A definitely unique vase Noelle. This time of the year gives you the opportunity to really appreciate the beautiful shapes of tree branches. Our next door neighbours have a large magnolia in their garden. Now I wonder ... 😂

    ReplyDelete