Saturday 18 November 2023

Six on Saturday

Given that it has continued to be wet for what feels like 75% of the time and the temperatures are sliding towards the norm for this time of the year, whatever that means, and having a small garden, wouldn't you think that a sensible person would have taken a sabbatical both from gardening and from posting six things on Saturday?  If butterflies, bumble bees, bees and humming bird hawkmoths can still fly to feed, then I am holding back from pruning back all the remaining flowers. Once the first frosts hit, they will need to be addressed. For more gardening and seasonal activities, do visit Jim's Garden Ruminations, who leads this weekly get together.

1.  This border auricula 'Old Cottage' thinks it is spring, and after being moved up a pot has promptly started flowering.  But what are the little critters that have been making these scars on the leaves?


2. With all the wet weather and lacking the luxury of a glass house with good ventilation or even a well ventilated alpine house, I am forever moving plants from the shelter of the shed albeit with a window, to the garden whenever there are a few hours of dry weather.  I haven't room for such housing by the way!


3. In late August I lifted the Limonium bellidifolium from the gravel garden, and divided it, but replanted it in a well drained gravelly soil into a pot.  In the spring I shall separate out the plants, but I am happy to report that all parts are doing well and growing very healthily all crowded together. 

Limonium bellidifolium

4. Along with picking up stones and bringing them back to the garden to arrange about the place, I have the habit of picking up other curious things, I did like and still like this stump of a tree which had been burned on some garden bonfire, and had been dumped on a grass verge. I once saw a sculpture make up of charred trees, and maybe that had inspired me! 

Charred tree stump in the garden

Sculpture made from charred trees

5. It has been a good year for Fuchsias in the garden, and even after I thought I had dug out one particular one last year, I couldn't have done such a good job of it, as this little has popped up in that spot.  The one that I moved is also doing well!


6.  Ferns too can take on autumn hues, its leaves paling, and it will be ready to shed them shortly.  Grown in a pot since I bought it in 2015, but repotted a couple a times.  With the passing seasons Athyrium otophorum var. okanum is growing little 'trunks'. I am sure Jim or another reader with a good handle on botanical terms will know the correct name, I would be ever so grateful if you would add it to the comment section.


That is all for now my friends, I am off to the HPS local group AGM and lecture this morning and am taking a few plants for their sale table.  I still can't shrug off this propagating habit!


12 comments:

  1. A pretty fuchsia, mine have done well this summer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, and I was going to reduce the number in the garden as the summers had been so hot and dry, this year is quite different.

      Delete
  2. The word you are looking for is caudex, but it only comes up in one of my three fern books, that on New Zealand ferns, so seems mainly to be used for the stems of tree ferns. Some of their smaller ferns also have upright stems, like Blechnum fraseri, but the book calls them trunks. In fact the word caudex is only used in the glossary, in all the species descriptions they call them trunks.
    We also have a nice healthy plant of Fuchsia 'Hawkshead' growing where I thought I'd dug it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification regard the use of the term trunk. So we have exactly the same experience with Hawkshead, which shows it can stand a severe cut back. Useful to know.

      Delete
  3. These charred tree sculptures are really interesting. That gives me a good idea! Pretty fuchsia still in bloom for you too (mine is still covered in flowers... and hornets...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased that you may have been inspired to create a sculpture from charred wood or trees, They are very much' en vogu', and with your large garden you will be able to do something quite stunning, and they form a great backdrop for architectural plants as well.

      Delete
  4. The wet does seem relentless. That Fuchsia is a beauty and I really like the colour of auricula 'Old Cottage' - very pretty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help you with the critters on the auricular, I'm afraid. Love the fuchsia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moved Fuchsia Delta Sarah some time ago as it grew far too large for where it was, I planted a peony in its place, but must have left some roots behind, now I have both growing in the same spot! Like your charred tree stump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline, one on the top of the other, will they be able to coexist? I always am concerned when planting things in the garden now, as I have so many bulbs squeezed in.

      Delete
  7. The auricula is a stunning colour Noelle. I have only ever grown one auricula and remember seeing similar markings on the foliage but I didn't know at the time what they were caused by. I wonder though whether it could be as a result of leaf miners. Is Old Cottage' scented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, I believe you are right about the leaf miner. Next time I go out and have a sniff of the auricula. Although a border auricula I have it in a pot, just until I know where the snowdrops are. It has been in the conservatory whilst in flower just on our table, and I can't say there was a particular scent nor did it affect my eyes, which is good.

      Delete