Thursday 23 November 2023

To Eschew

 It all comes to one at some time, and now I am mid way between a temporary crown and the final one, which is in about two weeks.  There are so many of usual delicious foods that it is best to avoid.  Nuts, granary bread, crackling etc need to be eschewed, i.e. they must not be chewed!  It tickled me the use of the word eschew which means to avoid something deliberately is so appropriate when I need to avoid chewing!

As I have recovered my baking mojo what better than to make a ham, cheese and onion quiche.  It is ages since I had a spell of making those: before, for and after the coronation.


I have a dear friend Mandy and either on our posts or on Facebook, talk, discuss, share, tips on good food, sometimes frugal food, and very often luxurious food.  Here all three come together.  I bought a half cheese from our local cheesemaker and goat dairy woman.  It was a mature Burcott at a fraction of the price compared to if it had been portioned and separately packaged. Mr S and I saw this when we went up to say hello at our Wells Food Festival a few weeks ago.  Fellow punters glanced over and when I gave a cast-iron recommendation, there was a queue to buy up the rest of the full or part cheeses. 

When I got home I cut up the cheese, grated a whole lot, and put them into the freezer to use as and when we needed without filling up the fridge.  This went into the quiche.  Having ready grated cheese as good as any Manchego in the freezer, means that each time I wish to add some as a topping or within a dish, there is no need to get out the grater.

The ham was made up of some of the meat that I removed from a ham hock I had cooked with various herbs, and spices  for soup in the pressure cooker.  There was sufficient meat for two quiches, and three batches of soup, and one portion in a salad yesterday.  




No comments:

Post a Comment